PDA

View Full Version : whats the smallest tank i can get

bluebluecow
09-13-2009, 07:43 AM
Im not looking too small, just something a little smaller then my 66L, maybe a hex shape.

Background is that my crowntail thats in the breeder in the community has had to be there for 2 wks now, usually change once a week, so him and red get a turn in jail. Its a big breeder, its 3 times the lenght of him, and I keep plants in it too, was thinking of putting an oto in there to keep him company and keep the alge down on the side.

Thing is xmas is coming and I would like a new tank, so thinking of giving him freedom. He has been in jail for 2 wks as big reds raising guppy fry, and I think blue will attack them, as they arnt his, red thinks they are lol.

So ideas of size, tank mates ect appreciated, also decore. He is a blue and white crowntail.

Many thanks

Liz

Deleted User
09-13-2009, 10:30 AM
We have two bettas that each live in 2.5 gallon mini bow tanks that have built in filters (in the top, gentle ones) and we added mini heaters. The bettas really swim around their small tanks and seem very happy and healthy. We picked that size because that's what would fit on the counters under the cabinets. We couldn't get anything too tall and these are working great for us and the bettas http://www.getsmile.com/emoticons/smileys-91853/aiw/yes.gif

bluebluecow
09-13-2009, 10:49 AM
see thats what i was thinking nothing to big, so that he can sit next to the kettle in the kitchen

Liz

Deleted User
09-13-2009, 11:00 AM
Yep!!! I love watching ours when I'm doing things in the kitchen. I normally use one counter more than the other but have been trying to use them more equally -- I don't want the betta on the less used counter to get bored http://www.getsmile.com/emoticons/smileys-91853/aiw/smile2.gif

iZinedane
09-13-2009, 12:53 PM
you can get a standard 2.5g
or if you really want a hex a 5g hex would be good.

jcarr71
09-13-2009, 02:00 PM
I know it is common and I know 2.5g is bigger than what a lot of them do live in, but I just cringe at the idea of any fish permanently living in such a small space. Could you imagine being stuck in something proportionally the same your whole life?

iZinedane
09-13-2009, 02:04 PM
we all know that :ssmile:
but really... a 2.5g is a minimum for a betta but bigger is better!

Mvjnz
09-13-2009, 03:14 PM
I would not put a betta in anything smaller than 5G, and even that is borderline in my opinion. I've had them in many different sized tanks, and 5G is the minimum sized tank where they have showed signs of being happy and active.

Faith_at_Large
09-18-2009, 01:51 AM
A Betta can survive in a tea cup, and many pet stores sell incredibly small display style fish bowls for them, but that is just tragic.

Bettas can survive in these conditions as an adaptation, but this is not what they are used to in the wild on a regular basis. They thrive in rice paddies, with large areas for swimming.

At least 2 gallons for a Betta, but I like a five gallon for mine. He loves it. And ten gallons is not too big.

Save the tiny tanks for quarantine or special medical baths. Also useful for temporary housing for tank emergencies.

cubby
09-18-2009, 02:13 AM
nothing smaller than a 125 gallon........

jaysee
09-18-2009, 03:19 AM
Im not looking too small, just something a little smaller then my 66L, maybe a hex shape.

Background is that my crowntail thats in the breeder in the community has had to be there for 2 wks now, usually change once a week, so him and red get a turn in jail. Its a big breeder, its 3 times the lenght of him, and I keep plants in it too, was thinking of putting an oto in there to keep him company and keep the alge down on the side.

Thing is xmas is coming and I would like a new tank, so thinking of giving him freedom. He has been in jail for 2 wks as big reds raising guppy fry, and I think blue will attack them, as they arnt his, red thinks they are lol.

So ideas of size, tank mates ect appreciated, also decore. He is a blue and white crowntail.

Many thanks

Liz

A 2.5 is the BARE minimum IMO and a 5 is far, far better. I have one of my bettas is an eclipse corner 5 and just got my girlfriend a hex 5 with a betta.

As for algae, I'd get snails. As far as tank mates are concerned, I'd get snails :ssmile:

Lab_Rat
09-18-2009, 04:05 AM
I like a 5g minimum for a betta. I know they can do ok in 2.5g but since you do not have the tank yet go ahead with 5g if you can. I keep a couple of guppies in with my betta, I think he appreciates the company, keeps him from getting so bored.

bluebluecow
09-18-2009, 07:28 AM
I think ill go for a 5 g, If I can pursaude DH bigger I will LOL

this is what I like did a quick conversation and its 8.9 g us

http://www.aquariumsdelivered.co.uk/catalog/viaaqua-va380-aquarium-p-2879.html

Liz

Neon
09-18-2009, 09:03 AM
..just be careful don't put the betta bowl on the fire and cook it:hmm3grin2orange:

I would go rather for a 5G , maybe would survive in a 2.5 but will thrive happily in a 5G .