PDA

View Full Version : NOTE to anyone using DIY Co2!!!!!

Chrona
03-31-2007, 05:30 PM
Please for the love of God secure your Co2 bottles. 2 liter bottles are especially sensitive, but any bottles can easily be tipped by a pet or by carelessness. I must have tipped my bottle this morning when moving my sofa. Luckily I found it just a short while later and the yeast solution had not entered the tank. Just a word of caution!

Lady Hobbs
03-31-2007, 05:38 PM
Good heads-up!

Drumachine09
03-31-2007, 06:09 PM
Please for the love of God secure your Co2 bottles. 2 liter bottles are especially sensitive, but any bottles can easily be tipped by a pet or by carelessness. I must have tipped my bottle this morning when moving my sofa. Luckily I found it just a short while later and the yeast solution had not entered the tank. Just a word of caution!

You might add that to that monster of an article/post that you wrote. Are you suposed to store the bottle above your tank? Couldnt using a check valve prevent this?

Incredulous_Ed
03-31-2007, 06:25 PM
Another note on the DIY yeast solution: It stinks! I had one that wasn't bubling enough, so I close the lid on it and left it there with the cap screwed on for about a week (because i was too lazy to throw it away!). So anyways, I went outsid to the sink and opened the bottle and the stuff sprayed everywhere! It stunk so bad I almost passed out! So if you as stupid as me, don't use diy co2.

xoolooxunny
03-31-2007, 06:33 PM
You might add that to that monster of an article/post that you wrote. Are you suposed to store the bottle above your tank? Couldnt using a check valve prevent this?

The check valve is only to prevent aquarium water from being sucked back into the container, mostly when the solution cools. You can store the bottle wherever you'd like, because the co2 gas can only travel in one direction:Thru the tube! Try and keep it away from a cold basement floor or a drafty window because the cold slows down the brewing process.

Chrona
03-31-2007, 06:38 PM
You are pretty lucky Ed. Some people have had their tanks blow up in their house after something clogged up and using a high bubble yield mixture ;)

xoolooxunny
03-31-2007, 06:43 PM
Another note on the DIY yeast solution: It stinks! I had one that wasn't bubling enough, so I close the lid on it and left it there with the cap screwed on for about a week (because i was too lazy to throw it away!). So anyways, I went outsid to the sink and opened the bottle and the stuff sprayed everywhere! It stunk so bad I almost passed out! So if you as stupid as me, don't use diy co2.
It's booze ed, just filter it and drink up!

Drumachine09
03-31-2007, 06:48 PM
It's booze ed, just filter it and drink up!

Its an alcohol? Are you Serious? Does that make us moonshiners?:hmm3grin2orange:

xoolooxunny
03-31-2007, 06:54 PM
Its an alcohol? Are you Serious? Does that make us moonshiners?:hmm3grin2orange:

It sure does! minus the stils and the grains, but what the hey! Use brewers yeast instead, add some hops and barley, and you can make beer while feeding your tank co2 (dont forget to filter and pasteurize)

Chrona
03-31-2007, 06:55 PM
Yeah, I took a whiff of my last mixture and whooooeee. Daaaaaaaang. Not really tempted to take a swig though, considering theres all that yeast, baking soda, etc in there ;)

xoolooxunny
03-31-2007, 06:59 PM
I just tasted mine today, i tiny bit. It tasted REALLY sugary so instead of 6 cups of sugar in my gallon mix, im using 5 this time around to see what the results could be. I also did what Chrona suggested and put in a whole teaspoon of yeast. Uh-oh! Two variables, this experiment is garbage!

Drumachine09
03-31-2007, 07:01 PM
Yeah, I took a whiff of my last mixture and whooooeee. Daaaaaaaang. Not really tempted to take a swig though, considering theres all that yeast, baking soda, etc in there ;)

...wuss...:hmm3grin2orange:

Chrona
03-31-2007, 07:02 PM
I just tasted mine today, i tiny bit. It tasted REALLY sugary so instead of 6 cups of sugar in my gallon mix, im using 5 this time around to see what the results could be. I also did what Chrona suggested and put in a whole teaspoon of yeast. Uh-oh! Two variables, this experiment is garbage!

Well it really depends on your room temperature. The house was pretty cold when I tried 1 teaspoon, and now that the weather is getting warmer, I may need to dilute the solution down the line to prevent CO2 overdose.

Drumachine09

lol, and there goes the scientific method! Dont drink and drive:wink2:

Chrona
...wuss...:hmm3grin2orange:

Turn 21, then we'll talk :ezpi_wink1:

Drumachine09
03-31-2007, 07:03 PM
Turn 21, then we'll talk :ezpi_wink1:

ouch....lol

cocoa_pleco
03-31-2007, 07:13 PM
Pown3d!!!!