PDA

View Full Version : Female betta's with other fish.

Monicka2
09-13-2009, 02:29 AM
Hey everyone.

I am thinking on having a female Betta/ fiddler crab tank with some otos. I have a 5 gallon tank right now. Do these fish get along and how many should I get of each? I am focusing more on the fiddler crabs and female Betta's. The otos are to keep the tank clean. I would appreciate all the help I can get.

Monicka2
09-13-2009, 03:00 AM
I really want Fiddler crab and female Betta's but I hear they aren't the best tank mates. Is this just sometimes or does it always happen? Also if his does happen, is there a way to make it work?

Chazbot
09-13-2009, 03:56 AM
Hi!

I don't know anything about fiddler crabs, but I've got 4 Betta girls, 2 Molly girls and 3 Otos in a 20g and everyone gets along fine.

iZinedane
09-13-2009, 04:22 AM
IMO you shouldnt keep betta's with fiddler crabs
as bettas have long flowing fins and the fiddler crab can rip it to shreds with its claws.
well im no expert so dont take my word for it as i havent kept both in one tank. :22:

Sarkazmo
09-13-2009, 08:37 AM
I have four betta girls, a male betta, three ottos, a swordtail male, two female swordtails, two corydoras, and three Ghost Shrimp in a HEAVILY planted tank and they all get along great. Fem betta will pick on each other from time to time. They'll establish a pecking order eventually but there'll be nipping. You can minimize this by providing TONS of cover.

Fiddler crabs WILL grab a fish if they come close enough! This is especially bad with female betta or betta in general. Betta are VERY curious fish, they get into everything and have to check everything out.

If you're going to do a fiddler crab tank you're better off doing it as a fiddler crab ONLY tank. Remember, they have to be able to get out of the water from time to time so you need to provide them with a dry area.

Sark

Monicka2
09-13-2009, 06:58 PM
Thanks guys for the info!thumbs2: