PDA

View Full Version : Filter suggestions

Cichlid_Man
03-31-2007, 11:28 AM
Hi all.
I have a 75g setup with Malawis and currently use a Fluval 405.
I had a cheapo HOB filter that finally broke down and was wondering what a GREAT compliment to the 405 would be?

I was thinking Emperor 400, but I am not fond of bio wheels.

Also, I only have a clearance of 4 3/4 inches between the tank and wall???
Actually 5 inches, but 4 3/4 is what I have to work with.
Any ideas that would really add some current to this tank???
I like power!

Fishguy2727
03-31-2007, 12:45 PM
Why don't you like Bio-Wheels? They are the most efficient form of biological filtration. If it will fit I would get an AquaClear 110 and remove the carbon and add either more foam or more Biomax. That may not fit though. You could always add another 405. Is it mbunas, peacocks, or open water?

Cichlid_Man
03-31-2007, 06:26 PM
I am not sure about bio wheels, but if you say they are OK, then I take your word for it.
What I have heard is that they are "Nitrate Factories"....I guess that's is just an old myth?

I went to town and they were pretty low in stock, so what I picked up was a Penguin 350. It seems like a pretty good system.
It is really pumping water like crazy, but I have to figure out a way to dump those carbon cartridges they give you. I want to rig something up without carbon...any ideas??

Chrona
03-31-2007, 07:00 PM
I am not sure about bio wheels, but if you say they are OK, then I take your word for it.
What I have heard is that they are "Nitrate Factories"....I guess that's is just an old myth?

I went to town and they were pretty low in stock, so what I picked up was a Penguin 350. It seems like a pretty good system.
It is really pumping water like crazy, but I have to figure out a way to dump those carbon cartridges they give you. I want to rig something up without carbon...any ideas??

That's what they should be. Any good biological filtration is a nitrate factory. Otherwise, you'd have a surplus of nitrites and ammonia in your tank ;)

The only time I've heard nitrate factory used is for saltwater tanks, where things tend to be more sensitive to nitrates so the idea is to remove organics before they break down, ie via mechanical filtration or protein skimmers. Nitrate factories, thus, would be bioballs or anything that has good biological filtration. With freshwater, you don't have the use of a protein skimmer, so you need good bio filtration

Cichlid_Man
03-31-2007, 07:25 PM
That's what they should be. Any good biological filtration is a nitrate factory. Otherwise, you'd have a surplus of nitrites and ammonia in your tank ;)

The only time I've heard nitrate factory used is for saltwater tanks, where things tend to be more sensitive to nitrates so the idea is to remove organics before they break down, ie via mechanical filtration or protein skimmers. Nitrate factories, thus, would be bioballs or anything that has good biological filtration. With freshwater, you don't have the use of a protein skimmer, so you need good bio filtration

OK Chrona!
I learn every day.
I was looking at the term Nitrate factory as a bad thing. It was never explained to me.
Thinking that somebody meant it causes you to have excessive nitrate levels in the tank.
So, how would you rate the Penguin 350?
Probably not at the top of the list, but it is only backup for the Fluval.

Chrona
03-31-2007, 07:27 PM
I've never used a penguin, but I've heard mostly good things about biowheels (only bad thing being that the biowheel gets stuck sometimes after a period of little-no maintenance)

Cichlid_Man
03-31-2007, 08:18 PM
Thanks Chrona!
I do regular maintenance on my tanks so I am not worried about that.
Thanks for the help!

Fishguy2727
04-01-2007, 12:48 AM
Nitrate factory is usually used to describe something different than just biological filtration, but I thought the exact same thing when I first heard it. Nitrate factories are medias that will trap a lot of debris, which eventually breaks down, releasing much more nitrates (after nitrfication) than the tank usually deals with. However, Biowheels are the last one to do this because they do not trap any debris the way any other biological media will. Because they rotate they dump any debris that may have gotten to it, so they are the last filter that would be a nitrate factory. Any other biological media has to be properly maintained to prevent this. Bioballs must be rinsed semi-annually to remove debris, every other biological media needs the occasional rinse in tank water to remove debris.

You can cut a slit in the cartridge and remove the carbon. Then next time cut all the floss off and use the frame to hold polyester padding. You can buy it real cheap at Wal-Mart, in the crafts section. Something like blanket filling that comes in a thin sheet that you can just cut to fit will work great.

Lady Hobbs
04-01-2007, 01:02 AM
Joe, I have two of the 350 Penguins. I use floss in the back of them however and not carbon. I also have a 200 and a 150 Penquin.

I think the 350 is equal to the Emperor in filtration. I do notice the water sprays more out than down and it gives more surface bubbles if that's what you're seeking. I prefer the Emperor for my angels as it sprays more down and not as much action on the surface since angels don't like it.

Chrona
04-01-2007, 01:02 AM
Ah, thanks for the clarification rep!

Cichlid_Man
04-01-2007, 11:24 AM
Hobbs,
I see that the Penguin pushes the water more across than down. It's fine for me, but I think I would have preferred it to spray down. That's all they had in stock and I don't make many trips to town.
Thanks for the input! How do you like the bio wheel filters?

Reptileguy,
Thanks for clearing up the nitrate factory thing.

As far as the filter cartridges. I just stuck them in there for now. There isn't much carbon in those things and I don't suppose it will do any harm.
When I replace them, I will cut the slits in the new cartridges and empty them. I have a ton of floss I can cut to size and maybe use thin rubber bands to secure them. In the meantime, I will look for those pads.
Great ideas?
Thanks!

Drumachine09
04-01-2007, 02:30 PM
I have a penguin 100 w/biowheel, and it does its job.