PDA

View Full Version : fish compability

Twe3k
09-11-2009, 07:48 PM
you guys see any problems with these? Will be decently planted.

64Gal:
2-Angel
2-GSP(until i can rehome)
1-Discus
6- Panda Barbs
1- Clown Loaches

20Gal:
3 - GBR(all males or all females)
12- Neon Tetras
6- Cories

Twe3k
09-11-2009, 08:31 PM
i know my 20gal is good, thanks to kingfisher, im really just concern about my 64Gal

DrNic
09-11-2009, 09:39 PM
Depending on the size there could be some fighting between the discus and the angelfish but it's hard to say without seeing them.

Twe3k
09-11-2009, 09:56 PM
the discus is alittle bigger than the angels, the angels are still fairly small but they have angels at the LFS that are relatively similar in size to the discus

Arkie
09-11-2009, 11:21 PM
not sure really but clown loaches need to be in groups as they are a very social fish. i wouldnt recomend just one. and personally i wouldnt do angels and discus together - never having owned discus but have angels and im thinking they are more boisterious than discus and may be just to much for it. just my opinion.

Twe3k
09-11-2009, 11:24 PM
are there a minium for keeping clown loaches? I going to do away the Discus

Arkie
09-11-2009, 11:29 PM
ive always kept groups of between 3-6 but im not a loach expert lol. and even though they are slow growing ,you have to account for their eventual size too. and im not sure how big your tank is cause here in aus we dont use gallons we use litres (really annoying for me!!!). good choice on not having the discus, i think the angels are a great choice though... have you had them before? they totally rock hehe :hmm3grin2orange:

Twe3k
09-11-2009, 11:34 PM
i think my tank is equavelate to about 243L, and no i have never had them before, im excited..

Arkie
09-11-2009, 11:39 PM
nice size :). yes they are great fish. are you going to try and get a pair or just pick which two appeal to you? i was lucky when i picked up my two albino pearlscales about a mth ago... just randomly picked the two prettiest and ive found them to be a pair yay!!!!! no spawning activity as yet, but they have had their breeding tubes out (how i sexed them lol) and they just follow each other around the tank. so cute. and you have to love cichlids for having their own personalities, my female is more friendly out of the two and always seems to say thanks at feeding time (or so i think lol) thumbs2:

Twe3k
09-11-2009, 11:43 PM
im not trying to sex the angels, because im still a beginner, and i dont want to deal with fry right now.. can mix cichlids and angels together? i was told chilids dont really do to well with other type of fish since they are somewhat agressive, well not the rams but the african and what not.

Twe3k
09-12-2009, 06:01 PM
i went to pick up some angels today, and i told my LFS that i have GSP and he said they're not compatible because the pleco will stress out the angel by trying to suck on their slim coat.. anybody has this problem?

Arkie
09-13-2009, 12:37 AM
GSP???? what is that? im guessing its a giant sailfin pleco??? lol im probably wrong. ive had my sailfin plec in with heaps of different fish and never seen anything like that going on, and my bf has 4 fully grown plecos in with his other fish and they never do anything either (besides eating the algae and leftover food lol). hope that helps

just seen yur first post.. its a gold spot plec. i think they are smaller than the sailfins yes? im thinking it should be fine but someones who has gold spots may be of better help than me. my opinion would be it should be ok though. just provide lots of wood and stuff for it to hide in i dont see a problem

Twe3k
09-13-2009, 03:30 AM
angels + GBR?.. stocking a tank is more difficult than it sound.. once u find something u like.. u look it up and finds out its not compatible with other fish u likes.. hmmm

Arkie
09-13-2009, 11:09 PM
id try the GSPs with the angels and see how you go... or perhaps your LFS will exchange them for angels??? i honestly dont see to much of a problem cause ive never heard of plecos sucking the slime coats of fish. mine have never even tried....

Lab_Rat
09-14-2009, 02:52 AM
angels + GBR?.. stocking a tank is more difficult than it sound.. once u find something u like.. u look it up and finds out its not compatible with other fish u likes.. hmmm

That's why so many of us end up with multiple tanks :hmm3grin2orange:

As far as the clown loaches go, yes, they should be in groups (6+ preferably) and they also get huge. Minimum tank size should be 125g.

I can't really give recommendations about angels as I have never kept them but I would think they'd be fine with GBR since they occupy different levels of the tank and look very different, even though they're both cichlids.

I've not really heard of plecos sucking the slime coats off of fish, though I do know the chinese algae eaters (CAE) are likely to do that. I could be wrong though, so if someone else says different then go with them.