PDA

View Full Version : snakehaed fish

maya
09-11-2009, 04:28 PM
hi. i'm new here. i need some help.
m deciding to rear snakehead fish. i've heard that when they are little, they are cannibals and eat each another. how do i prevent that from happening? do reply, thank you . :)

ndntakeover
09-11-2009, 04:34 PM
aren't these the fish that wreaked havoc up north somewhere?

and if you're in the US i think it's illegal to have them... im guessing you live somwhere else?

lol sorry i have no idea how to answer your question though. someone will come around to you

all i do know is those fish can get big and when they do, they will start banging against your aquarium walls (if that's where you keep em) and break it. And they can live out of water for like 3 days

you probably knew that though so i'll let someone else answer your question : P

-Lp
09-11-2009, 04:36 PM
It is illegal to keep snakeheads as pets in all states of the USA and other countries as they have become an invasive species due to irresponsible owners releasing them into the wild when they could/would no longer take care of them.

With that said, unless your rearing dwarf snakeheads, like channa gachua, you will need a tank bigger than you can probably handle. At 2-3' in length, you're going to need 500-1000 usg. for just one.

They're also known to break aquarium glass.

Good luck!

BTW - Welcome to the forum!

robflanker
09-11-2009, 06:48 PM
illegal throughout america.

Crispy
09-11-2009, 08:47 PM
Still legal in Canada. I kept some many years ago. Keep them well fed and they won't eat eachother. Not many tankmates for snakeheads except other snakeheads.

robflanker
09-11-2009, 08:56 PM
Owning and encouraging the owning of snakeheads is irresponisble fishkeeping IMO.

Certain fish should not be in the trade; snakeheads and RTC come to mind immediately

Crispy
09-11-2009, 09:08 PM
Owning and encouraging the owning of snakeheads is irresponisble fishkeeping IMO.

Certain fish should not be in the trade; snakeheads and RTC come to mind immediately

Whats wrong with snakeheads? They cannot be invasive to Canada since they could never survive the winters. The only illegal animals I can think of here are endangered, native or venomous.

Aeonflame
09-11-2009, 11:45 PM

Dont forget pangasius cats.

aquatic lover
09-12-2009, 03:59 AM
Snakehead keeping is illegal in the usa and in some other countrys.

.: JaCkPoT :.
09-12-2009, 12:38 PM
what does RTC stand for?

Red
09-12-2009, 12:53 PM
Red Tail cat, crispy they need a tank somewhere around 400+, unless like stated there were dward channa.

Crispy- Don't you have a invasive problem with rusty crayfish?

Northernguy
09-12-2009, 02:36 PM
Yes Rustys are all over the place!
Snakeheads are very aggressive fish.They will kill most anything else left in the tank with them.They are escape artists. They get big but I have never heard of one breaking a tank.
I had two years ago but got rid of them when they killed my clown knife and an oscar that shared their tank for a year and a half.
They are nasty predators that can live out of the water.
I really do not understand how they cannot live in Canadian waters.Once they get big enough they are very hardy fish.I know I have stepped on one walking into my fish room and all I did was pick it up and put it back in the tank.It went after my oscar immediatly.I got rid of them that day.I dropped them off at lfs that told me they can live with any big fish.

Thats the last time I will own those fish.

Crispy
09-12-2009, 02:54 PM
Red Tail cat, crispy they need a tank somewhere around 400+, unless like stated there were dward channa.

Crispy- Don't you have a invasive problem with rusty crayfish?

I totally agree that red tail cats are way too big for any home aquarium. I was talking about the snakeheads. There are quite a few fish that should not be sold because of their size (I can't believe they even sell a. gigas), but snakeheads are not a problem here. They are easily housed in aquariums and can't live year round in our native cold waters.

Yes, we do have some invasive species... rusty crayfish, round goby, zebra mussle, and now grass carp. I can see why they are banned in the US, but here it's not a problem. I see snakeheads all the time at the LFS and have kept them myself.

robflanker
09-12-2009, 03:37 PM
Whats wrong with snakeheads? They cannot be invasive to Canada since they could never survive the winters. The only illegal animals I can think of here are endangered, native or venomous.

They will adapt and find ways to survive. Thats what nature does, it adapts and survives - maybe not in our lifetimes, but i'm not sure canadian children want having their rivers over run with snakeheads.