PDA

View Full Version : What kind of plant is this, and is it ok?

willisrad
03-31-2007, 12:48 AM
Ok.
I recently picked up a plant at my LFS, and I have no idea what it is. They guys who know what they are doing, and a younger kid who just kind of helps out was assisting me.

It's a beautiful plant, but it was like this when I bought it. The top of the plant is GORGEOUS! It could not be prettier. Beauitful pink and green leaves.......

Everything below the top is ok.

At the very bottom, there are few leaves.

It almost looks like I am supposed to trim it from the bottom up! Any suggestions or ideas? Also, if you could name it for me, that'd be awesome.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

-will

Abbeys_Mom
03-31-2007, 12:50 AM
It's a Ammannia senegalensis.

xoolooxunny
03-31-2007, 12:51 AM
I'll look around and see if i can ID it for you, unless someone beats me to it. But in the mean time, yes trim it from the bottom up! Those lower leaves were not getting enough light in the fish store, so they kind of dwindle away in their uselessness. Fish stores have a bad habit of not catering to FW plants.

xoolooxunny
03-31-2007, 12:52 AM
It's a Ammannia senegalensis.
Did I call that or what? And not a minute too soon!

Chrona
03-31-2007, 12:53 AM
It's a stem plant, so don't touch it for a 2 weeks. Let it grow a root system, and when it gets too tall, cut off the upper half and replant it. Be careful that it does not rot, however. Not sure how much light you have on that tank.

Don't pull the lower leaves just yet, or you'll get a palm tree effect, as bottom leaves tend to grow back very slowly (if at all) under lower light and without a root system

xoolooxunny
03-31-2007, 01:01 AM
When it comes to regrowing the root system, I (after cutting the top half off) will put a weight about a half inch up the stem from the piece that came from the top, and let it sink to just sit on top of the substrate. That's how i play the careful game to make sure it's not rotting while waiting for roots.

willisrad
03-31-2007, 01:33 AM
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but when it's time to cut the plant, I cut it in half and replant the top half (well kind of).

Does that end up leaving me with 2 plants? Or does the bottom half get removed or die away or something?

And I don't remember what kind of light I have in my tank. Typically it's pretty bright, but my water is a bit cloudy right now :-( ............that's the other thing I am working on.

Thanks!

xoolooxunny
03-31-2007, 01:40 AM
well, if you do what Chrona suggests and wait 2 weeks for new roots and dont remove old leaves, then yes it will leave you with 2 plants. The lower part of the stalk will just grow replacement leaves since the old ones are still somewhat functional to absorb light energy.