PDA

View Full Version : Stocking planted tanks

Abbeys_Mom
03-30-2007, 11:31 PM
Can you stock more fish in planted tanks? All the stocking calculators say you have to stock less when you have a planted tank.

sergo
03-30-2007, 11:59 PM
what?
where did you read that?

Chrona
03-31-2007, 12:03 AM
In a planted tank, there is less room, but much greater biological filtration. Thus, as long as your fish are fairly passive (ie not zebra danios), a planted tank = more stocking capacity.

Abbeys_Mom
03-31-2007, 12:03 AM
Here's one place. Put in dimensions and switch from Freshwater Tropical to Freshwater Planted.

http://www.fishtanksandponds.info/resources/calculators/stockingcalculator.htm

Here's a quote from
http://badmanstropicalfish.com/articles/article27.html

Plants
pose many considerations. In short and sweet, they take away swimming room. Reduce space for the fish to swim in, but also give comfort. They can break up territories. Plants remove harmful nitrogen wastes and in general, are the best thing you can do. Some fish, plants reduce the number you can have, other, they will increase them. A heavily planted, well filtered tank negates most bioload issues. Some fish will not allow plants to remain planted. Others need a mainly rocky build, which removes the ability to use most root-bound plants. However, there are many alternatives. Floating plants and mosses do not need gravel or to be anywhere in the tank. You can spend as much time researching plants as well as fish. If you are planning on going planted, do yourself a little favor and find out what you want to do, and what you need to before you end up with your tank filled and with fish and deciding you need a new substrate.

Abbeys_Mom
03-31-2007, 12:10 AM
What about a low planted tank and danios. I keep my wisteria low to the ground, so there is still swimming room in the top third for the Gouramis and Danios that I have.

Chrona
03-31-2007, 12:18 AM
What about a low planted tank and danios. I keep my wisteria low to the ground, so there is still swimming room in the top third for the Gouramis and Danios that I have.

Should be fine as long as it's not too heavily planted. My gourami goes all over the place, so if the top gets crowded, he'll just hang out elsewhere.

Abbeys_Mom
03-31-2007, 12:31 AM
I know when my Kribs are older, I will be at capacity, but I also have some fish that are "on there way out". My Bristlenose is 6 years and the chocolate loach is 7 and I am surprised he's still going. I know they can live 10+ years, but I didn't think one would in my tank. My Sparkling Gourami will only be around another year or two. Kribs are fairly slow growing, so I have some time before my tank is considered full. I am fairly sure I can get away with adding 3 more Danios. If things get tight in there, I have a home for my YoYo Loach.

bettaboy691
04-01-2007, 08:06 PM
planted tanks are ace.
i go for the tall wide plants at the back and sides, then smaller ones at the front, plenty of swimming space for my fish. personally i havent seen a fish that doesnt like atleast one plant in its tank (based on what i keep and know, some fish like just rocks)but it also helps with the water quality.

Lady Hobbs
04-01-2007, 10:37 PM
I also can see no difference other than space is taken up with plants. I think plants should reflect what kind of fish are in the tank, as well. Angels, for instance, should have tall straight up plants like vals. They can slide in and out of them. Too many plants with lower stems will prevent them from getting in those areas with their tall fins and I think this should hold true for discus.

bettaboy691
04-01-2007, 10:42 PM
i tried that website out, and i entered the sizes 24x12x12 with a planted tropical and it said i could have 8 inches of adult fish, then i did it again with normal tropical and it said i could have 24 inches of adult fish.

Chrona
04-01-2007, 10:51 PM
i tried that website out, and i entered the sizes 24x12x12 with a planted tropical and it said i could have 8 inches of adult fish, then i did it again with normal tropical and it said i could have 24 inches of adult fish.

As long as your fish occupy different parts of the tank and are passive, it's fine. Plants increase biological filtration, but decrease physical space to some extent. It should be noted that plants also break up parts of the tank.