PDA

View Full Version : Fish Wishlist with Cherry Barbs

Sabrya
09-10-2009, 08:04 PM
Hello Aquatic Community friends,

I have an 29 gallon fresh water community aquarium that has been running for almost 4 months. Right now I have 4 Cherry Barbs and 4 Pepper Cory cats in there. I have been researching the Cherry Barb and have come to find mixed feelings about this particular little fish. Some say they are peaceful while others say they are grumpy little fin nippers!

I also read that Cherry Barbs and guppies do not get along (of course some people say they do). However, I was contemplating fancy guppies for a while, but I definitely do not want to put them into a stressful situation and make them ill. So, I’ve restructured my plan for this little tank.

I was wondering if any kind souls would be willing to look over my fish “wishlist” and offer some insight and fish-keeping wisdom.

I’m in no rush, meaning I don’t plan to add all these guys in at one time. I plan to take it slow, avoid ammonia spikes and stress. Also, for reference about 13 years ago I had a 100-gallon tank, so I am familiar with the fishless cycle, ammonia, nitrates/nitrites…etcetera.

Commence wishlist!

* 6 Cherry Barbs
* 4 Pepper Cory Cats
* 2 Mollies
* 1 Powder Blue Dwarf Gourami/Flame Dwarf Gourami

My biggest worry about this wishlist is the Gourami. I’m not sure these guys are compatible with Cherry Barbs. I have read that the cory cats and the mollies will be fine friends for the Barbs.

Also, right now the tank is fake-planted, but I have plans for plants I just want to make sure I do it right, so as to avoid killing all the plants. Not sure if this matters to my wishlist or not.

Thank you in advance for your help, suggestions, or comments

cfgsteak
09-17-2009, 07:09 PM
That sounds like a fun tank!

I'm really new to all this and the only consistent thing I have found about fish compatibility is that everyone consistently DISAGREES! :hmm3grin2orange:

Those Gouramis sure look like fun, interesting fish though.

Nobodynotime
09-17-2009, 07:31 PM
Ive kept all kinds of barbs with gouramis and the only one I had trouble with was odessa barbs. All of my cherry barbs were pretty laid back.

jaysee
09-17-2009, 08:34 PM
Your stocking sounds great! I would do 10-12 (4-5 males) cherry barbs and 6-8 corys. Corys are best in groups of 6 or more - less and they tend to just lie around.

Nobodynotime
09-17-2009, 08:54 PM
Almost forgot! Welcome to the AC! thumbs2:

Sabrya
09-21-2009, 04:33 PM
Whooo whoo! Thanks!

I was afraid no one would comment, heh. It's good to hear that Cherry Barbs and Gourami will be happy together. Is there another pretty fish you would recommend might be good in this tank, as an isolated fish (doesn't mind being alone)?

VIP
09-22-2009, 06:02 AM
Wlecome Welcome!

oh yeah...
you definitly choose the most laid back barbs of all... i have 3 of them, in a semi agressive barbs tank.I am pretty sure a school of them would be nice to watch...they are not super active fish, but they have that way of swimming around...they look like they are just hanging out, quiet watching what is going on around them ... always calm.
They never bother other fish at all and they just stick together. Actually they other barbs never bother them either...

I just have females though... the males are much colorfull but a little more expensive so ...

I've also notice that mine prefer to be in the upper and middle section of the tank. around the plants...Comparing to the other barbs that definitly stuck in the middle of the aquarium. as for that observation, they tend to hang out with the zebra danios in the upper level i guess they like their stripes, since they are on the same side then them :horizontal...and they have really similar shape.torpedo.
...sometimes, my only checkered barb go and join them (he is more active but seems to get along with the girls when he is feeling sociable...).

The only time i've seen my cherry barbs going in the lower section is when i feed them. They are eating the food from the gravel...

Ive think, i ve read somwhere that the tinfoil barbs are calm too and i have to say that they look great , never kept them though... maybe you can do some researches on them and see if they can fit the tank you want to set up ...?

let us know what you ve decided...

jaysee
09-22-2009, 10:41 AM
Really??? Males cost more than females?? For most fish or just cherry barbs?

Sabrya
09-24-2009, 10:54 PM
I wish I could locate some female Cherry Barbs. Then I'd be able to help answer that question. As it stands most chain stores in my area have only had the males.

Kind of unfortunate because the nice lady that helped me said that it is hard to tell their gender, so it was like a shot in the dark. I've since learned it's not that hard they're different in color for sure.

jaysee
09-25-2009, 12:44 AM
It's very easy to tell the difference. However, the females can get quite dark sometimes - to the point I've had to take a second look when doing inventory.

Owlbehere
09-25-2009, 01:27 AM
They were the same price at our Petsmart. The females were yellowish and the males are red.

Nobodynotime
09-25-2009, 03:04 AM
Whooo whoo! Thanks!

I was afraid no one would comment, heh. It's good to hear that Cherry Barbs and Gourami will be happy together. Is there another pretty fish you would recommend might be good in this tank, as an isolated fish (doesn't mind being alone)?

You could always get a betta, I always end up getting one when I have space, I always hate seeing them in those little tupperware containers.

Garrett
12-22-2009, 10:16 PM
I've had my cherry barbs in a community tank with all kinds of fish with zero problems. They're like the hippy stoners of fish, they just sort of swim around and never bother anyone. I've got two dwarf gouramis in the tank with them, never had the slightest inkling of a problem.

I'd personally go with platys instead of mollies in the tank, they're generally a little smaller, but that's just a personal preference. I've never had much luck with mollies.

Spartanhockey89
12-22-2009, 10:35 PM
Have you seen the mickey mouse ones. Their not tatooed or anything just they have a black spot near their tails tht looks like a mickey mouse head. Its great to show off to guests. Cherry barbs in my tank get along fine with normal finned platys. But mollies would be great. The Gourami is a toss up, cuz who really knows what'll happen with it until it does.