PDA

View Full Version : Wanting a predatory tank

HorrorShowRot
09-09-2009, 07:56 PM
I was looking at the LFS and saw some african pike very cool. But I am wanting to get a predatory tank even if it has one fish in it would be cool. Fish needs to look mean XD Kinda want to get him for show. But needs a good personality and needs to eat well Piranhas are a no go. Just because I dislike how messy they can be. Alot messier then oscars Will be purchasing either a 90-120g tank for the new fella Anyone have some input a link to some information would rock.thumbs2: And the filtration will be pristine. Gonna get 2 canisters for it. Just to keep up with the fish.

Crispy
09-09-2009, 08:09 PM
Depending on the size of your tank, maybe look into an arowana? Most predators are going to be messy.

HorrorShowRot
09-09-2009, 08:12 PM
I am going to most likely build the tank. And an arrowana would rock but I can not find them around here theres only 1 and its an adult around a foot long and its 400dollars.:hmm3grin2orange:

Crispy
09-09-2009, 08:15 PM
I am going to most likely build the tank. And an arrowana would rock but I can not find them around here theres only 1 and its an adult around a foot long and its 400dollars.:hmm3grin2orange:

Where are you at in Ontario? There are many down my way and they can be easily ordered for cheap.

jackson17
09-09-2009, 10:22 PM
Green Terror?

Gar?

Stingray?

How big of a tank are you going to be making? lol. That is going to determine a lot of what can and can't go.

Aeonflame
09-09-2009, 11:36 PM
Dude you need to get a trahira. They are totally aswsome and very hardy.

Aeonflame
09-10-2009, 12:18 AM
Also known as wolf fish. hoplias malabaricus

VIP
09-10-2009, 04:57 AM
Hello man from Ontario (a little hello fromt he capital to you...)!

I just checked out Aeoneflame last suggestion to you ...i just google it, and i have to say that is really scary fish to me, just the pictures i ve seen are pret-ty convincing. i cant imagine what it would be like what dinner time looks like for that guy:ssuprised: ...

i think that it is nice that you want to incorporate a fish to your show too...!

<<You gotta loooooo-ve the fish>> (on the same tone than: << You gotta loooo-ve the Drake>> Elaine to Seinfeld)

alright , i am going back to my cute tiger barbs tank now...:wavegreen:

HorrorShowRot
09-10-2009, 05:58 AM
K I have a grow out tank. Will be getting the fish small using a friends 75 gallon it is cycling as we speak then will be upgrading to a 150. I still have no clue what i want:hmm3grin2orange: Its a tough call stingray I would get but i hear there really picky gars I have only seen longnose near me. And arrows gf says there ugly but i think there cool. Sigh

MCHRKiller
09-10-2009, 06:13 AM
Even smaller rays really need a tank with a 2ft width...Id avoid them honestly. Aros are also going to outgrow your tank. Personally I would get a male jag...they grow easily to 16" and when kept alone are not only impressive fish to look at...become downright wicked fish. They hate everything and everyone that looks at them to long.

Aeonflame
09-10-2009, 04:44 PM
If you want a fish that tips the bada** scale, you wont go wrong with a wolf fish. 75 gallons is great for it. I swear to you, nothing else can survive a minute in there. Its the most agressive and predatory fish I've seen and kept. Im not even sure a snakehead can stand up to one of these. They eat fish half the length of their bodies.. whole!