PDA

View Full Version : Stop air curtains blocking

crackatinny
03-30-2007, 07:21 PM
I guess this is more of a tip than a D.I.Y, which could be an Idea for a new thread section, "Tips and tricks"
Anyway back to the subject.
My wife and I both love the affect of an air curtain, but they pose problems like floating if not weighed down, gravel covering then and losing the affect, or blocking up.

I think I have come up with a solution to at least the 1st 2 probs. My gravel is about 2inch deep, so I got a length of PVC piping this diameter, and cut a slot in it just smaller than the gravel, you can't really see it from the front, but here is a closeup, not proven yet, but I can't see why it won't work, if the slot starts to get covered after a period of time, its only a matter of running something along it to clear it.

Drumachine09
03-30-2007, 07:22 PM
Cool idea! Dont the bubble curtains come with a couple of suction cups though?

crackatinny
03-30-2007, 07:25 PM
Cool idea! Dont the bubble curtains come with a couple of suction cups though?

Not the ones I have bought over here, even if they did, the gravel cover would still be a prob.

Did you pick the PVC in my tank pic?

Drumachine09
03-30-2007, 07:27 PM
Did you pick the PVC in my tank pic?

Huh?:confused:

crackatinny
03-30-2007, 07:32 PM
Huh?:confused:
Oh you only just got on, lol, look for this proud Aussies other posts tnight:18:

jweintraub
03-31-2007, 07:26 AM
That's a great idea that I'm definately going to try! I use some larger rocks places at each end and one in the middle, but it's always showing itself above the substrate... very frustrating and not to pretty.

kimmers318
03-31-2007, 12:09 PM
The bubble curtains we have came with suction cups except for one that is weighted. We have them suction cupped to the back wall where we want them. The weighted one I don't like as much because it doesn't really stay in place that well.

xoolooxunny
03-31-2007, 01:23 PM
Tips & Tricks, I like it, and your pvc pipe idea too!