PDA

View Full Version : Reducing snails big time

Lady Hobbs
09-08-2009, 08:47 PM
Snails love wood. I have been removing my wood about every second day and knocking the snails down the drain. Scrub the wood a bit with a wire brush to remove eggs and put it back in the tank. I have probably lightened my tank up of about 300 snails in the last week. Getting a lot more than I do with algae pellets or lettuce in a jar.

DrNic
09-08-2009, 09:17 PM
Good tip.

I hate to even ask this but how bad were your snails that you've gotten rid of 300! Either you have a HUGE tank or a serious problem! :hmm3grin2orange:

Deleted User
09-08-2009, 09:46 PM
Just in case you feel like pointing and laughing....... my husband and I just bought some yellow mystery snails (6, 3 in two different tanks) and a white mystery snail and a blue mystery snail for another tank. I like them 1-3 per tank. 300, probably not so much!!!

Lady Hobbs
09-08-2009, 10:25 PM
Good tip.

I hate to even ask this but how bad were your snails that you've gotten rid of 300! Either you have a HUGE tank or a serious problem! :hmm3grin2orange:

55 gallon. It only takes about 10 snails to end up being 300 in a very short time.

Cristoff
09-08-2009, 11:00 PM
And this is the reason that live plants scare me to death. I'm way to OCD to have snails in my tank...

Rue
09-08-2009, 11:17 PM
Snails love wood. I have been removing my wood about every second day and knocking the snails down the drain. Scrub the wood a bit with a wire brush to remove eggs and put it back in the tank. I have probably lightened my tank up of about 300 snails in the last week. Getting a lot more than I do with algae pellets or lettuce in a jar.

Gee! I can hardly wait until I retire!:hmm3grin2orange:

BTW...I once did an experiment with potato beetles. I had to grow potato plants to feed the beetles. But the greenhouse had an aphid infestation. It was so bad I had to wash the aphids off the plants before I fed them to the beetles...

It grew old VERY fast...