PDA

View Full Version : Cannister filter surging

crackatinny
03-30-2007, 05:12 PM
Every now and then my cannister filter will make a noise like there is an air pocket, I only set it up about 4 hrs ago, is this normal, and will it rectify itself?

xoolooxunny
03-30-2007, 05:30 PM
My canister filter will usually do this for awhile after I clean it, but by the next day, all is quiet. I figure all the remaining air in the filter will get pushed out or eventually dissolved in the water.

crackatinny
03-30-2007, 05:33 PM
My canister filter will usually do this for awhile after I clean it, but by the next day, all is quiet. I figure all the remaining air in the filter will get pushed out or eventually dissolved in the water.

Thanks, this is my 1st experience with canister filters, apart from the surging, I can't beleive how silent these filters are, I find myself sticking my hand in near the return from time to time, just to make sure it is running.

jweintraub
03-30-2007, 05:39 PM
If the noise becomes constant, try leaning the filter from side to side until it stops, it helps the air towards the output.

fraley
03-30-2007, 05:44 PM
Thanks, this is my 1st experience with canister filters, apart from the surging, I can't beleive how silent these filters are, I find myself sticking my hand in near the return from time to time, just to make sure it is running.

Bought myself my first Eheim external filter the other day and had the same surging that evening... It had stopped by the next day.
Like you said i cant believe how quite they are, if it wasnt for the surface ripples i would have thought it wasnt on at all.... :- )

sergo
03-30-2007, 06:07 PM
If the noise becomes constant, try leaning the filter from side to side until it stops, it helps the air towards the output.exactly thumbs2:

crackatinny
03-30-2007, 06:14 PM
If the noise becomes constant, try leaning the filter from side to side until it stops, it helps the air towards the output.

Just tried that, and it done the trick, leaned it one way and it got worse, leaned it the other, and I could see the airlocks clear. Thanks:thumb:

xoolooxunny
03-31-2007, 01:51 AM
You'll learn all the tricks of a canister filter after the first few times you need to clean it. I top mine off as much as possible before i connect it and turn it back on.

Remember to rinse with dechlorinated warm water only! This can be done easily by doing a partial water change with the filter cleaning, just use the water coming out of the tank, perfect!

jweintraub
03-31-2007, 07:23 AM
Glad my suggestion helped!

Lady Hobbs
03-31-2007, 02:34 PM
You guys always have the answers to everything. Everyone is awesome!

Hey, Crack, what kind of canister did you get?

cocoa_pleco
03-31-2007, 03:19 PM
my fluval doesnt do that often, but my hydor does. Its just air escaping.

I cant stand my hydor anymore. To do maintenance, you have to YANK like crazy on the lid to pry it off. I broke that thing 10 times yanking hard. With the fluval, you just gently pull 2 switches and thats it. The inside is easy to clean also. You just lift out 2 trays.

xoolooxunny
03-31-2007, 03:49 PM
my fluval doesnt do that often, but my hydor does. Its just air escaping.

I cant stand my hydor anymore. To do maintenance, you have to YANK like crazy on the lid to pry it off. I broke that thing 10 times yanking hard. With the fluval, you just gently pull 2 switches and thats it. The inside is easy to clean also. You just lift out 2 trays.

Is there a shut off valve for a quick disconnect? If so, try opening it back up after its off the lines to let some air in as you pull.