PDA

View Full Version : Pond Snails

bythos
09-08-2009, 04:30 AM
I have pond snails. One has turned into three no four. But they are doing a nice job of cleaning the glass of algae. But i don't want them to get out of control. And i don't think i have much chance of eradication. any advice?

mommy1
09-08-2009, 04:33 AM
don't overfeed your fish. the usual reason snails get out of hand is because they have enough food to breed. if you feed your fish sparingly the snails should'nt become a problem.

Northernguy
09-08-2009, 04:34 AM
Pick out all the snails you see. You will have many more soon.They have probably laid eggs many times over already.

bythos
09-08-2009, 05:02 AM
Any fish that would eat the smaller/young snails?

mommy1
09-08-2009, 05:08 AM
none that would fit comfortably in a 97L tank or with your current stock. it would be better to just not overfeed and pick out the snails you can.

bythos
09-08-2009, 06:14 AM
Yeah your right.. I so feel like starting another tank. I've got the bug.

King Tut
09-08-2009, 10:05 PM
You could try a piece of lettuce in a glass jar. They should find their way in there then you can dispose of daily. We tried some lettuce on a veggie clip last night and nailed some right away.

rich311k
09-08-2009, 10:12 PM
Feed sparingly and remove the ones you see and you should have no problems. I love the little guys I think they are cool.

Wild Turkey
09-08-2009, 11:13 PM
I agree, just watch how much food they are getting, lower it as much as possible and they wont become a problem.

Is it a planted tank? A planted tank without snails is like a watermelon without seeds. It happens, but not without some serious expertise intervention :D

bushwhacker
09-09-2009, 12:48 AM
WT i actually found a snail in my planted 55 a week ago... crunched his a$$. aint seen one since

Wild Turkey
09-09-2009, 12:52 AM
WT i actually found a snail in my planted 55 a week ago... crunched his a$$. aint seen one since
Like i said, intervention:ssmile:

My point is, he got in there somehow and there are most likely more you are not seeing, hopefully not (i guess) but the odds are against you lol

bythos
09-21-2009, 01:41 PM
Update: The snails are breeding and my tank is very well planted. But the tank is looking really good i don't even have to clean the glass for algae anymore.

Anyway i got myself a red male betta the other day. Poor guy was a little beaten up. He had been in a tank with some kind of tetras. The clerk did not even realize he was in the tank as he was hiding in a plastic castle.
He had an infection on this eye. which has cleared up with the help of some meds. Hes looking all good.

I've heard that betta may eat snails well the small ones anyway. Anyone think that this could be true?

rich311k
09-21-2009, 01:44 PM
I have seen my bettas pick at them. I would imagine babys get eaten.

bythos
09-21-2009, 02:06 PM
Excellent release the bettas smithers *rubs hands together*.

Northernguy
09-21-2009, 02:12 PM
Its a hopeful thought but I have never seen that!
I have had a betta in at tank with pond snails for close to a year.I have never seen him show enough interest in them to open his mouth! lol
It may be 1 betta in thousands that likes to pick off small snails.
I remember when I first got corys they went after smaller snails and eggs.That stopped after the first time I fed them.

krystalsohun
09-21-2009, 07:37 PM
Is it a planted tank? A planted tank without snails is like a watermelon without seeds. It happens, but not without some serious expertise intervention :D[/QUOTE]
I dont have any snails :hmm3grin2orange: could be because i buy tube plants :hmm3grin2orange: everyone says dont waste money cuz they will just die. i'm sorry i'd rather help a dead plant then get invaded by snails. if you are only seeing 4 snails and you started with one guess what you have a ton more than four you just cant find the little buggers:hmm3grin2orange: good luck with the impending invasion:hmm3grin2orange:

bythos
09-22-2009, 01:52 AM
Is it a planted tank? A planted tank without snails is like a watermelon without seeds. It happens, but not without some serious expertise intervention :D
I dont have any snails :hmm3grin2orange: could be because i buy tube plants :hmm3grin2orange: everyone says dont waste money cuz they will just die. i'm sorry i'd rather help a dead plant then get invaded by snails. if you are only seeing 4 snails and you started with one guess what you have a ton more than four you just cant find the little buggers:hmm3grin2orange: good luck with the impending invasion:hmm3grin2orange:

Its very well planted. I would of missed the eggs when i was cleaning the plants. Its funny they only just appeared week after i moved on a bala shark.

Update:
Added a pic of the largest snail.

HeatherB
09-22-2009, 02:04 AM

ROFLMAO:hmm3grin2orange:

sorry...just struck a funny note...