PDA

View Full Version : Coral tank as pleco only tank

Bennlfer
09-08-2009, 03:51 AM
Has anyone ever seen one of those shallow coral frag tanks being used as a pleco only tank? I think it would be better, considering all of the extra floor space, but i was wondering if plecos need a bit of height to their homes, to give it a more natural feel i suppose. The tank would only be about 10 inches high max, and something like 4 feet by 4 feet on the bottom. Also, would a lid be needed? I haven't really heard of plecos jumping too much but i thought id ask just to be safe.

VoidParadigm
09-08-2009, 04:55 AM
I don't know if they'd jump without being startled or scared. When I was trying to help my friend capture her baby one it leapt quite a bit out of the water trying to get away from me. I personally wouldn't risk no lid. Maybe you could build a clear lid for it?

toddnbecka
09-08-2009, 04:17 PM
I've never known them to jump out, though I did find one dried out on the glass cover once. It had swam (or tried to) up the outflow from a hob filter, and missed the gap on the return trip. Evaporation would be more of a problem than jumping pleco's.

Crispy
09-09-2009, 08:21 PM
I've had large plecos jump out of my tanks in years past.

Bennlfer
09-09-2009, 11:28 PM
Yeah i suppose some sort of lid can be made for it. That way evaporation stays down too.

But how about a stand? Lol Does anyone know a place or site that has odd stands like that? I dont think a table can be used, water weighs a lot.

toddnbecka
09-10-2009, 05:19 AM
Your best bet for a stand would be to either build one or use a couple of suitable-sized 55 stands with a tank-size piece of plywood on top of them. A pair of cheap 2x4 55 stands would hold the weight well enough, but you need solid support under the glass.
Alternatively, concrete blocks would be the least expensive (and strongest) support option, again with a suitable surface under the tank itself.
My tanks are mostly in the basement, and set up for the fish, not for appearances. In a few more years I plan to have a larger house, and set up an 8' planted show tank with a school of roseline sharks. In the meantime though...

Bennlfer
09-10-2009, 11:23 PM
Do you have a tank like the one im picturing? How about a pleco tank?