PDA

View Full Version : New "rescue" betta

invadertoast
09-07-2009, 10:31 PM
Well, I "rescued" a betta from Petco today. He was in one of the main tanks with some baby mollies and was actively exploring the tank. First I noticed that his body was snow white and shiny (like my dragon half moon) Then I noticed he's missing fins! I realize it might not be the best idea to pick the betta with town fins, but he looked healthy otherwise and I figured he'd have a pretty good chance with me. I asked if he was for sale and they sold him to me as a regular veil tail betta. My crowntail that was in my community vanished while I was away (we think he jumped out and ended up under the couch, fine one day gone the next) and the community seemed empty without a betta in there. This new guy is SO WHITE, I wish the camera could capture it. I might try to take better pictures later tonight when it's dark in the living room. I think he's dragon but I'm not 100% sure, his fins are reddish but look mostly white in person. I'm hoping his fins will grow back,nobody knew what happened to him at the store but they already look like they're healing (to me anyway, I'm not an expert) I'm not sure if he's a halfmoon or a delta. We'll see I guess. He acts like a 100% healthy and curious betta so far!

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/invadertoast/IMG_0047.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/invadertoast/IMG_0049.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/invadertoast/IMG_0055.jpg

rich311k
09-07-2009, 10:58 PM
Nice betta I love the color!

Deleted User
09-07-2009, 11:18 PM
He's beautiful! I don't know if his fins will grow back or not, but maybe another member will thumbs2:

LadyHatred
09-07-2009, 11:27 PM
Nice little guy! Looks like he's had one hell of a fin-nipper at him. If he had finrot it looks to be over. Keep us updated!!

geminidragn
09-08-2009, 03:31 AM
If you put him in the cup you got him in or a small tank with some Melafix and quarintine him for a day or two; his fins will grow back. If you use the cup only put three drops in ( I use a medicine dropper); if you use a small tank read the directions on how much.

He looks beautiful. Nice color!!

invadertoast
09-08-2009, 11:48 AM
Thanks everyone! If you look closely in the first picture, you can see clear growth and a smooth edge at the top of his tail. I think he was injured a while ago and is already healing. I do have a spare 2.5 gallon tank but I don't have a filter and heater. I have a spare 15 with a filter and heater but it leaks... hmmmm yeah. lol, I'm gonna keep him in the community for now and see how things go, I've had males in this tank before and never seen any of the fish nipping, so I'm not too worried.

Northernguy
09-08-2009, 01:18 PM
Thats a very nice fish!
I think the fins will grow back fine with pristine water.
Melafix cannot hurt.
Its white eh? lol Sorry all I can see is pink! hehehe
I do understand how its hard to get the right pic though!

invadertoast
09-08-2009, 07:39 PM
Lol, yes NG, I swear he's white!! Although when the light hit his fins they have a pinkish irridescence to them... I might have to name him Pink.