PDA

View Full Version : Companion Creature

tori.lock
09-07-2009, 09:50 PM
I'm thinking about getting Moose a bigger tank in the near future, probably sometime after Thanksgiving. I'd like to get one between either a 1.5 gallon or a 3 gallon. Ideally I'd want something larger for a community, but because I have to move around between semesters that's not possible. But I still think it would benefit him to try a companion creature or two. I was wondering if there's anything (fish or invertebrate) that would thrive with him in a tank that small. Currently it's just him and 2 anubias. I would like to get some rocks/drift wood with moss and another plant or two, given the tank set-up I get.

VoidParadigm
09-07-2009, 09:55 PM
I don't know for sure, but an African Dwarf Frog or a smaller species of Apple Snail (obviously not the six-inch ones lol) might work. Really, it all depends on Moose and how he likes his new mates. He may decide he likes to be alone and nip at any tankmates you try to put in.

tori.lock
09-07-2009, 10:02 PM
I have been considering an African Dwarf Frog. My only fear is that they seem a little messy and troublesome. I'll do a bit more research on them to see if I think it would work. I'd also have to ask about returns in case Moose didn't take too kindly to it.

VoidParadigm
09-07-2009, 10:06 PM
I passed up on a dwarf frog for my 5g 'cause I found their specifications a bit too much work for my liking. In some other people's opinions they're simple, though. -shrugs- Do research, if you like the idea, plan something out.

I personally love the Apple Snail, though, and am ordering a Golden Brig for a tank by itself in the near future. With proper care and when they're not harassed by the fish they're very interesting to watch, imo. They're not for everyone, though, of course.

I guess another alternative would be something like cherry shrimp? I think they're the smaller species of shrimp. Don't know much about them, honestly. lol

tori.lock
09-07-2009, 10:16 PM
My only concern about a snail is not having enough algae for them, but I suppose I could supplement with other things. Research, ho!

The shrimp were my first idea, ghost shrimp or cherry shrimp but I heard that they can be very sensitive and picked on by fish, and that a lot of people just have no luck with them.

VoidParadigm
09-07-2009, 10:26 PM
Oh, there's no worry about there not being enough algae. Most snail species actually don't prefer algae. Apple Snails can learn to take flake food (although Moose might have something to say about any food like that!), sinking pellets (provided there's no copper in them), algae wafers, zucchini, lettuce, cucumber, frozen foods (brine shrimp, etc) and more! The list goes on. One of the reasons I'm getting an Apple Snail is that there's actually more to it than "Okay. You eat algae. Yawn." lol

tori.lock
09-07-2009, 11:50 PM
The apple snail idea is actually sounding pretty good. I'll have to see what sorts of food I'll be able to keep for it. Considering I'm in a dorm with a shared mini-fridge my room mate might take issue with keeping frozen worms and assorted vegetables in it for a snail.

VoidParadigm
09-07-2009, 11:56 PM
Haha. I have the same problem. We solved it by me getting my own mini-fridge for all my frozen fish food and own meats. (All the other people in the house are vegans.)

You could always claim your doctor recommends you up your worm intake? Haha!

Algae wafers aren't horrible for them, just not the best. Could always use them then just feed other stuff on special occasion. =]