PDA

View Full Version : Well established tank in need of more fish

Coldfish_Trev
09-07-2009, 09:26 AM
My tropical tank (of 5 years +) currently has 4 blue tetra neons, 4 orange tetra neons, 2 black widow tetras and 3 silver dollar tetras, and we are looking for a communal style fish to go with these to lighten things up a little, since these fish spend most of their time swimming around the bottom, until their feeding time, naturally! if anyone could suggest anything I would be very greatful, as I am not the most knowledgeable on compatibility issues.

Thnx Trev, UK

mattsbottleofjager
09-07-2009, 12:58 PM
It would really help to know what size tank you had before anyone could really offer stocking suggestions. Have you considered adding more of the same to the groups you already have? Tetras are schooling fish, and 6 of each is recommended. It will make them happier and more active.

From my personal experience, when I increased my neon and bloodfin schools up to 7 they got very active and it was like having new fish.

DrNic
09-07-2009, 02:19 PM
Would you mind putting up some photos of your fish? I've never heard of any of the types of neon tetra you have.

Northernguy
09-07-2009, 02:41 PM
I do agree with making your schools larger! Your fish need to be in schools they feel more secure and will be more active as previously mentioned.
How big is your tank and what kind of filtration are you running?

Coldfish_Trev
09-10-2009, 02:01 PM
Thankyou for the advice, I asked my aquatic supplier about "schooling", and have since added a further 5 Blue neons, hoping that they will school with the other 2. I can only add pictures (Nik) when I have my camera back sorry, but they are the same ones as you have in your profile picture, I do not know their real name sorry, and the orange ones are similar, but with an orange stripe, not a blue one. I have since added a pair of Rose Barbs, and a pair of Scissortail Rasboras which have settled in nicely. I also added 4 more live plants. I will post pics up when I have my camera back. My tank is about 20 (us.) gallons and we use a fluval filter system.