PDA

View Full Version : new to this..!!

rookiesgirl
09-07-2009, 05:49 AM
can bettas live with other fish.. if so which ones for example..?? also can 2 bettas share a tank with out a divider if its big enough..??

iZinedane
09-07-2009, 05:58 AM
yes
an example are tetra's
and yes they can if the tank is big enough.

rookiesgirl
09-07-2009, 06:01 AM
i have 2 male bettas and a 10 gl tank.. how big is big enough..??

iZinedane
09-07-2009, 06:08 AM
i think its at least 20g
im no betta expert though
i would put a divider on that 10g.
5g for each of em'.

rookiesgirl
09-07-2009, 06:21 AM
yes.. i will get the divider tomorrow.. we call these bettas our miracle fish.. we basically rescued them from the local walmart cause we all know how they treat their fish.. :( but anyways when we got them they were laying on the bottom of the plastic cup that they sat on the shelf in.. i bought the usual betta small plastic starter tank from walmart.. and as months went on they did really great and their colors brightened up and they became healthy once again.. a few months later they were taken out of their tank by our cat and were laying on the counter when we woke up.. not knowing that the cat was smart enough to figure out how to get them and never bothered with the tank in the first place.. so once again we have revived them and they are healthy and beautiful.. so we saved our money and got them what they deserve (a huge tank for their size).. after having gone through so much i felt like i owed it to them.. so i want to make sure that they have everything they could possibly need..

iZinedane
09-07-2009, 06:31 AM
so its been running for 2 months?
i think that tank is already cycled! :hmm3grin2orange:

tori.lock
09-07-2009, 12:16 PM
Just from what I've heard, I don't think there really is a tank big enough to house two male bettas without issue. Granted, some males are not overly aggressive and the two might pick out their own territories after a quick scuffle, but I don't think it's worth mixing them. I've heard of experiments where people put two male bettas in a pond and instead of going and seeking out their own bit of space they just fight.

For what they're good with people always say cories are fantastic. Most non-fin-nipping fish are good if they're not too flashy. I'm sure you can find a list if you type in "Betta compatible fish" on google.

Neon
09-07-2009, 12:22 PM
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/bettafish/:22:

DrNic
09-07-2009, 02:37 PM
I've had some issues with bettas and neons at one point but apart from that I think they should get along fine.

As for splitting a tank. You could probably split a 10G tank for 2 bettas. Just make sure the filter is adequately filtering both sides of the tank.

Northernguy
09-07-2009, 02:51 PM
I think two males in a ten is a mistake!They are better off in their own tank with some neons or cardinals.

Neon
09-07-2009, 03:07 PM
my Betta and my Neons are together since beginning of August , never had a single accident. They just ignore each other. the same with my new Otocinclus , swordtail and platies must say .

rookie
09-07-2009, 03:59 PM
so do you think that if a 10g is split she can get a small school of neons on each side.

jaysee
09-08-2009, 04:23 AM
No, I don't think that would work.

Neon
09-08-2009, 08:14 AM
I think tha Betta and neons are compatible but also I think that a split 10G is too small.