PDA

View Full Version : new at this..!!

rookiesgirl
09-07-2009, 04:39 AM
hi everyone, so being that im rookies girl (obviously) lol.. i decided that i need to start my own tank too.. :) so i have a 10gl and 2 betas ( pictures soon to come).. i haven't put my fisheys in the tank yet cause i need to buy a divider.. so anyone out there with really good advice for starters and info about betas please let me know.. tell me everything you know about them.. like the best food to feed, what type of plants (preferable fake..??), pleco, snail (yes, or no..??), ect..

:help:

Twe3k
09-07-2009, 05:29 AM
welcome to AC!:) before u get ur fish make sure u cycle your tank. If you dont know what this is, like i didnt when i first came here.. the free ebook (links in the left panel) has a lot of useful infos:)

iZinedane
09-07-2009, 05:36 AM
welcome to AC!:) before u get ur fish make sure u cycle your tank. If you dont know what this is, like i didnt when i first came here.. the free ebook (links in the left panel) has a lot of useful infos:)

or she can just ask some media from rookie
jump starts or instant cycles your tanks.

rookiesgirl
09-07-2009, 06:11 AM
lol.. rookie told me i have to get started on my own.. lol.. he's so anal.. lol.. but he also said that he would help me along the way i just have to ask questions..

iZinedane
09-07-2009, 06:15 AM
just ask him for some of his media.

HeatherB
09-07-2009, 09:02 AM
Because you have bettas, I wouldn't worry about cycling your tank before adding the bettas. Unless they are the really expensive $14 ones, they are VERY hardy fish and will more than likely survive the cycle. Especially if you use some of Rookie's filter media. (or just stick some media in his filter for later and don't tell him!)

I have snails with my bettas, they have never bothered them. I wouldn't get one for a couple weeks so they have something to eat. And they need an extra source of calcium (although I have been slacking on this b/c mine have started coming to the water level at feeding time and snacking on the food up there!) Even a BN pleco will be too large for a 5 gallon. (Which is essentially what you are creating is 5 gallons on each side.)

When you do go buy a divider, buy a bigger one than your tank. I found the one that was written for my tank was actually a little small, so I took it back and got a larger one and cut it to my tank. Mine moved around a little too, wasn't harmful but was kinda annoying, so I toyed with the idea of using aquarium sealant to stick it permantly to the side of my tank. Theoretically you could always scrape it off if you didn't want it divided anymore.

For food, I feed all my fish, including my pond Koi, Ed's Almost Natural Tropical Fish Food.
www.almostnaturaltropicalfishfood.com
The Betta micro pellets are great. My fish LOVE them. I like the idea that they are fresher than anything I could buy in the store, and the $3.50 that the stuff costs gives you a lot of food. If you didn't want to go that route, my next choice would be Hikari Pellets. I also feed bloodworms, shrimp and tubifex worms. They usually get one of those in place of pellets once or twice a week.

As a thought, if you had the extra $ or Rookie has a extra, you may want to slap a second filter on the other side of the divider. I found my water got kinda stagnant on the side of the divider that the filter was not on.

Plants..... I never really used plastic. I read that they can be bad for Betta fins. I just always used real. Pick up some liquid fertalizer for plants and a few hardy plants and your good to go. I like Amazon Sword, Anubias, Waterlily and Ludwigia are good easy-to-grow-and-maintain plants. Mine grow like weeds! Don't buy from those little plastic packages at the Petstore though, I have learned the hard way that half the stuff they sell is not for aquariums, but for terrariums. Buy from the plant tanks and just rinse everything off (I was terrified of 'dreaded' snails!)

Hope this helps! Sorry it is so long! Feels great to actually tell someone about something I know instead of asking everyone else for advice!!

Neon
09-07-2009, 11:17 AM
survive or not in a not-cycled tank but they will suffer for sure ! Rookie please read in the beginner'ssection all the infos about cycling ( Ladyhobbs ) be patient and you will enjoy great results. Also u will find plenty of infos about Bettas on AC, just for example digit Betta in SEARCH .

I have a Betta, and i can tell you that at the beginning it was going to starve himself as didn't accept any food so I had to do some research ( thanks to AC friends here ) , I am giving him Tetra Betta + brine shrimps, now he is get used to any type of flakes and granules food, varied diet is the best so I rotate.

HeatherB
09-07-2009, 11:37 AM
If you keep up your water changes and tank maintance while your tank is cycling, (which will not be long if you can get your hands on some from Rookie!) your betta's should have no problems. It would be much better for them to be in a tank than a small little cup.

Why would you have a betta live in a little cup for what could be several weeks while you cycle a tank. With proper tank maintance I think your bettas will be find with no long term problems. I'm not saying to go out and buy, say a bunch of neons and throw them in the tank w/o cycling, but since you already have the bettas, do a fishy cycle. The next tank you get and set up can be done w/o fish. But if you already have some fish, why subject them to such living conditions?

bythos
09-07-2009, 12:23 PM
You could ways made a divider from some Anti-Insect Net pretty cheap and very useful stuff.

cubby
09-07-2009, 01:41 PM
betta lives in DIRTY RUNOFF puddles in the wild. dirty than almost ANYONES tank. just do water changes, and the betta will be fine. as far as stressing the fish.... betta aren't near as need as most fish. i don't think he will get too, if any, stressed if you keep up on water changes...

gotta remeber: some of the fish we rant about "stressful conditions" and water quality live in some of the WORST water in the world. most peoples aquarium water (99% of people) will be a million times better than what they live in the wild.

Northernguy
09-07-2009, 02:22 PM
betta lives in DIRTY RUNOFF puddles in the wild. dirty than almost ANYONES tank. just do water changes, and the betta will be fine. as far as stressing the fish.... betta aren't near as need as most fish. i don't think he will get too, if any, stressed if you keep up on water changes...

gotta remeber: some of the fish we rant about "stressful conditions" and water quality live in some of the WORST water in the world. most peoples aquarium water (99% of people) will be a million times better than what they live in the wild.
There is a big difference between what a wild caught fish can live through in the wild and what a store bought fish can live through.
Store boughts would not live through those conditions and have never seen them either.
In a small betta tank you can change the water daily or evry other day.It will keep the water safe as long as you are matching temps and using dechlorinator.
As for Rookie not giving you any of his media :shrug:
All you need is a small corner of his pad or sponge to safely cycle your tank.
I say put your foot down! lol

cubby
09-07-2009, 03:30 PM
very true, NG.... captive breed fish are weaker. but all the adaptations are still there for poor water quality living. but the fishes themselves are weaker.

and i would just wait till rookie is taking a nice big one... then STEAL that media! and then tell him later what you did!! :14:

mattsbottleofjager
09-07-2009, 04:04 PM
I agree w/ "borrowing" some media, just bat your eyes and tell him we told ya too :hmm3grin2orange:

rookie
09-07-2009, 05:12 PM
lol i never said i wouldnt give her any media. i just told here that she still has to cycle the tank because both my 110g and 10g are not fully cycled they are still showing a very small amout of nitrites. i will take one of the filters off the quarintine tank and let her use that in addition to her filter now until her tank is cycled to kinda give it a kick start. by the time the tank is cyled we should have some extra money to get a second hob for the other side of the tank. i do have alot answers for some other posts but ill let my girl handle that since its her post.

:14: lol and for the record i am helping her in any way possible but i want her to learn about the hobby and not just have me do everything without her knowing what im doint

rookiesgirl
09-07-2009, 07:39 PM
thank you everyone.. everything seems very clear to me and makes sence.. i think im gonna go with the amazon sword plants.. instead of plastic plants (your right abouth their fins).. also, i dont have them living in a cup i have them in a smaller tank than the 10gl.. if you go to walmart you will see a million bettas in little tiny plastic cups piled on top of each other and half dead.. thats what they were in when i decided to rescue them.. not what i keep them in..

Cristoff
09-07-2009, 07:44 PM

The only argument to this theory is that MOST if the fish we buy are not "wild caught" fish. They are bred in conditions that may not be as good as most of us keep our tanks, but in MUCH better conditions than the natural habitat that you are referring to.

Aeonflame
09-07-2009, 07:58 PM
If my lady told me she wanted to start a tank...I think I'd weep in joy.

Good luck!

Cristoff
09-07-2009, 08:11 PM
If my lady told me she wanted to start a tank...I think I'd weep in joy.

Good luck!

You and me both brother! :ssmile:

rookie
09-07-2009, 08:15 PM
i basically did she said it yesterday and we raced over to petsmart to get there before they closed lol

jaysee
09-08-2009, 03:41 AM
lol and for the record i am helping her in any way possible but i want her to learn about the hobby and not just have me do everything without her knowing what im doint

I'm in the same boat. I got my girlfriend an eclipse 5 hex today for her birthday to house her dwarf frogs and a new betta. This is her third tank and she's watched me and participated with my tanks for a few months now, so my expectations of her are high :hmm3grin2orange:

Sooooooooo rookie, is it just a coincidence that your girl has two bettas and you asked me if I wanted 2 bettas? :ssuprised:

rookie
09-08-2009, 05:55 AM
Lol she went crazy setting up this whole tank but she was upset because the divider is kinda cheesy and she was worried that they were going to get through to the other side. But we reinforced it and she feels a little better so mabe we will keep them.

Deleted User
09-08-2009, 09:36 AM
Welcome here!!!

I think it's neat you are both picking up the hobby!

My husband and I have been a couple for over 20 years but this is the first time in a long time I can remember us having a mutual hobby that we both are very into. We both do the horse thing, but that's always been more me. He loves them, but I am much more passionate about it than he is. Now with the fish, we're equally into it and enjoying learning and picking out fish, etc. It's so much fun to enjoy this kind of hobby together :1luvu:

King Tut
09-08-2009, 11:50 PM
Welcome here!!!

I think it's neat you are both picking up the hobby!

My husband and I have been a couple for over 20 years but this is the first time in a long time I can remember us having a mutual hobby that we both are very into. We both do the horse thing, but that's always been more me. He loves them, but I am much more passionate about it than he is. Now with the fish, we're equally into it and enjoying learning and picking out fish, etc. It's so much fun to enjoy this kind of hobby together :1luvu:

Well said Jill - My wife (Chazbot) and I will be married 10 years in Oct. She had birds when I met her so I got into but she was already more experienced. With the fish we are both learning and doing and trying it has been great. Every little thing we try and see how it is better (sometimes worse) for the fish is us doing it together. The only problem so far has been MTS. We went from 1 tank in April to now 7 tanks. I am seriously thinking about sealing the basement and flooding it. LOL.