PDA

View Full Version : Tank divider

holbritter
03-30-2007, 03:01 PM
Just saw this cruising the web. Sounded like a great idea :)

Dividing a tank - Ever need to separate a fish (or two) from the others, but didn't have a spare tank? If priced dividers at the pet shop, you probably decided you might as well buy a second tank! Don't give up, there is an inexpensive way to divide a tank in two. Go to any department store that has a craft section, and purchase a sheet of plastic canvas - the type with big holes. Cut it a bit wider and taller than the tank, then slide it in so the bottom is buried well into the substrate and the top is slightly above the water level.

Drumachine09
03-30-2007, 03:06 PM
Yeah, i have seen that too. But tank dividers are only a couple bucks here

xoolooxunny
03-30-2007, 03:37 PM
Just saw this cruising the web. Sounded like a great idea :)

Dividing a tank - Ever need to separate a fish (or two) from the others, but didn't have a spare tank? If priced dividers at the pet shop, you probably decided you might as well buy a second tank! Don't give up, there is an inexpensive way to divide a tank in two. Go to any department store that has a craft section, and purchase a sheet of plastic canvas - the type with big holes. Cut it a bit wider and taller than the tank, then slide it in so the bottom is buried well into the substrate and the top is slightly above the water level.
Pretty cool...Hey Chrona, this sure saves a lot of drilling! probably wouldn't look as fancy tho!

Chrona
03-30-2007, 04:02 PM
Pretty cool...Hey Chrona, this sure saves a lot of drilling! probably wouldn't look as fancy tho!

I worked with what I had :P

xoolooxunny
03-30-2007, 04:57 PM
I worked with what I had :P

I think that a corner divider made of Plexiglas would be more appropriate, and have less of an 'obstructing-the-view factor' whereas the middle tank divider might be more practical using the plastic canvas type.

Here's a question...Would any type of window screening work in an aquarium, or is that stuff unsafe?

Chrona
03-30-2007, 05:02 PM
I think that a corner divider made of Plexiglas would be more appropriate, and have less of an 'obstructing-the-view factor' whereas the middle tank divider might be more practical using the plastic canvas type.

Here's a question...Would any type of window screening work in an aquarium, or is that stuff unsafe?

All I know is the screening (plastic) I had had some kind of oily film on it.