PDA

View Full Version : Feeder goldy, koi, or other?

HomaridNoob6
09-06-2009, 11:55 PM
Ok, so i just set up another tank, and to keep my cycle going (the filter was run for 5 weeks on an existing tank) I decided to pop a feeder goldy in there. I also cant stand looking at an empty tank and I'm impatient :) The real stock is already set up in 3 orders from my LFS over the next 3 weeks. Anyway, I go to buy a feeder goldy and when I got home with it it looked a little odd to me, it has little barbels on its mouth so i thought it might be a koi or some kinda hybrid or something heres a link to a really bad somewhat blurry picture of it http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g158/lobsterrabbi/P9060127.jpg Please tell me what you think, goldfish, koi, or otherwise.

In case anyone was wondering don't worry bout the fish once I get my stock, hes got a spot in a nice little pond already waiting for him.

smaug
09-07-2009, 12:04 AM
Only koi have barbels.Goldys,comets and hybrids do not.

HomaridNoob6
09-07-2009, 12:47 AM
was looking up stuff on koi varieties and found a very informative website LOL heres a quote from them:

Fish koi have many different colors. Some of the major colors are white, black, red, yellow, blue, and cream.

If you have seriously decided to get at yourselves which, the good management necessarily is required to you to understand complex classification koi will learn to look after them. The basic breeds differing on painting, are shown on this village; besides WHICH differ on a structure of a surface of a body. The majority of breeds does not have metal shine, but at popular breed last years огон the scales has metal shine - golden or silvery (Platinum ogon).
The version deduced in Germany Doitsu at all has no scales, except for several strips from large scales on each side or on a back. Transparent fish koi have imperceptible brown or grey painting.

LOL

and by the way thanks for the info Smaug :)

smaug
09-07-2009, 12:50 AM
Fish koi have many different colors. Some of the major colors are white, black, red, yellow, blue, and cream.

If you have seriously decided to get at yourselves which, the good management necessarily is required to you to understand complex classification koi will learn to look after them. The basic breeds differing on painting, are shown on this village; besides WHICH differ on a structure of a surface of a body. The majority of breeds does not have metal shine, but at popular breed last years огон the scales has metal shine - golden or silvery (Platinum ogon).
The version deduced in Germany Doitsu at all has no scales, except for several strips from large scales on each side or on a back. Transparent fish koi have imperceptible brown or grey painting.
whatwhatwhatwhat?Geesh.

HomaridNoob6
09-07-2009, 01:05 AM
Kind of what I was thinking, like what in the world are they actually trying to say?

HeatherB
09-07-2009, 01:56 AM
It looks like a Koi. I bought two koi fish from Petsmart, and I had some common feeder goldfish I bought two. Now one of the feeders has grown little barbels, so it must be some type of koi too.

Deleted User
09-07-2009, 02:34 AM
I also think that looks like some sort of koi http://www.getsmile.com/emoticons/smileys-91853/aiw/yes.gif He is lucky you came along and took him off the menu thumbs2:

hari-goshi
09-26-2009, 08:26 PM

whatwhatwhatwhat?Geesh.
:hmm3grin2orange: It could be that the original article was in a different language and translated to English. Alot of stuff gets lost in translation and ends up sounding really silly. A japanese food store down the street from me sells boxes of chocolate cookies that are called 'Choco-digestive Food Treat'.

HomaridNoob6
09-27-2009, 12:29 AM
Oh yeah, I have no doubt that was what happened, it didn't translate correctly. But as for a lot of stuff getting lost, in this case i think everything got lost in translation.

keesh5
11-23-2009, 11:08 PM
Definitely a Koi, could be ghost koi or Koi culled by a breeder as it didnt fit the part of perfectly colored or patterned Koi; although its very hard to tell when they are little babies really what they will look like when they are older.