PDA

View Full Version : African Dwarf Frog died after one day.

kenyth
03-30-2007, 02:18 PM
Well, I bought a little frog for the community tank. He died for no apparent cause shortly after getting him home. He didn't appear beat up at all and all his tank mates left him alone as far as I could tell. Upon first putting him in the tank, I noticed his skin seemed like it was shedding off or producing a lot of slime. Is that a sign of illness? The next time I visited pet smart I noticed a large number of the frogs died. Are these animal sensitive? They eat common flake, dried bloodworms, etc. right? I don't want to get another one until I'm sure I'm not doing anything wrong.

YaYgoldFish
04-09-2007, 04:52 AM
http://allaboutfrogs.org/info/mypets/dwarfs.html

hope this helps

cocoa_pleco
04-09-2007, 04:57 AM
The big albino clawed frogs i have no trouble with, but those small dwarf green ones always die on me within a few days

kimmers318
04-09-2007, 12:18 PM
My african dwarf frogs have not shown any sign of being overly sensitive. They were in with my dwarf puffers, but are now in a separate tank in my daughters room that someone gave us and she wanted them in with her. I did have 1 that died because I tried it with a betta and the betta harrassed it non stop and I don't think it was able to get much food either. If the adf had been in one of those cups for a long time without food and then got harrassed and kept away from the food in your aquarium it may have been weak enough already that it just couldn't take anymore.

kenyth
04-09-2007, 01:24 PM
Well, I bought a second one that looked perfectly healthy and it also died within 48 hours, so I'm not getting any more. My water is hard and that may be the problem. There's no other indicator as to why they died.

cocoa_pleco
04-09-2007, 03:18 PM
even with perfect parameters, i cant keep them for more than a few days. I dont know whats up with them. I can keep the bigger albino clawed ones, but not these

bettaboy691
04-09-2007, 04:54 PM
wow, you guys always seem to have problems with these frogs.
i have no problem keeping these frogs alive, im had my 2 in one tank for 2 years now. i feed them thawed frozen bloodworms/daphina/brine shrimp and glass worms. they dont eat flakes or freezedried very well. my water is slightly above 7PH, around 7.5-8.
the rest of the water quality is good. ive had the frogs with bettas, shrimps, cories, kuhliis, gouramies, all the fish that might pose a problem, but nothing has happened. the frogs have been fine. they still need to be floated in the tank in their bag, and fed every 2-3 days. make sure you see them eat, usally other fish will eat the food first. using turkey baster squirting the food over the frog often works.
if your frog was shedding off, it might have been sheadding its skin, but extra slime i havent heard of/seen so this might be the cause of death.
im sorry for your loss, and with out sounding rude, not buying more of these frogs may be a good idea, you dont want more dead and maybe one day after lots of research is done, you could get a few more. oh yes, they like to live in groups, ive found having 2 or more makes them more active.

kenyth
04-09-2007, 05:31 PM
wow, you guys always seem to have problems with these frogs.
i have no problem keeping these frogs alive, im had my 2 in one tank for 2 years now. i feed them thawed frozen bloodworms/daphina/brine shrimp and glass worms. they dont eat flakes or freezedried very well. my water is slightly above 7PH, around 7.5-8.
the rest of the water quality is good. ive had the frogs with bettas, shrimps, cories, kuhliis, gouramies, all the fish that might pose a problem, but nothing has happened. the frogs have been fine. they still need to be floated in the tank in their bag, and fed every 2-3 days. make sure you see them eat, usally other fish will eat the food first. using turkey baster squirting the food over the frog often works.
if your frog was shedding off, it might have been sheadding its skin, but extra slime i havent heard of/seen so this might be the cause of death.
im sorry for your loss, and with out sounding rude, not buying more of these frogs may be a good idea, you dont want more dead and maybe one day after lots of research is done, you could get a few more. oh yes, they like to live in groups, ive found having 2 or more makes them more active.

Certainly no offense taken here for good advice. I don't necessarily form an emotional attachment to fish and amphibians, but I do enjoy them and have a strong sense of responsibility for their well being. I don't like killing or hurting ANY animal unnecessarily.

bettaboy691
04-09-2007, 05:49 PM
im glad to hear that, its not a problem that you dont form an emotional attachment to the fish, many people dont, but i belive you when you say you have a sence of responsibility and wouldnt hurt an animal, thats whats important in my eyes.