PDA

View Full Version : Gar Newbie

emptyhead
09-06-2009, 01:51 PM
I have the opportunity to pick up a 10" florida gar this weekend. It will be housed in a 4' 100g tank. It currently eats live and frozen food.

I have read some information on them, but would like to hear from some that have kept florida gars anything that may be helpful for me as I keep this fish.

Lady Hobbs
09-06-2009, 01:54 PM
Welcome to AC.
I think the Gars are neat fish but the ones I've seen have all been in longer tanks. A 4 ft tank doesn't seem large enough to me but we'll leave this for the gar experts to answer.

Demjor19
09-08-2009, 12:27 PM
A 4' tank is not large enough for a Florida gar for life. It will last him for possibly the next year to year and a half, but it should eventually be housed in something roughly 6x2.

emptyhead
09-08-2009, 01:00 PM
The tank is actually 120g. 48x24x24.

I know a 6' tank would be better and I could move him if needed. He will be housed by himself in the 120. I may give it a go for now.

Northernguy
09-08-2009, 01:04 PM
Welcome to the Fabulous AC!:22:
Great looking fish,post some pics when you get it!

Demjor19
09-08-2009, 04:37 PM
The tank is actually 120g. 48x24x24.

I know a 6' tank would be better and I could move him if needed. He will be housed by himself in the 120. I may give it a go for now.

A 4' tank is not ideal, but at least you do have a 2' wide tank. That helps alot. You could try it out, but be very careful with which tankmates you keep him with. Gar are very susceptible to being bullied and out competed for food.

emptyhead
12-18-2009, 01:18 AM
I thought I would give an update. The gar is doing great. I will be adding 2 more Florida Gars over Christmas break and maybe a Lima Shovel Nose.

The 4' tank is working out very well. I have added some java fern and some drift wood. I may try some more live plants.

Red
12-18-2009, 01:19 AM
Why are you adding more gar, that are going to get to big for tank?

gm72
12-18-2009, 11:42 AM
I thought I would give an update. The gar is doing great. I will be adding 2 more Florida Gars over Christmas break and maybe a Lima Shovel Nose.

The 4' tank is working out very well. I have added some java fern and some drift wood. I may try some more live plants.

Well wait a minute. We have shared with you some opinions that clearly contradict your adding more fish, and you are talking about adding more fish that get quite large. You'll end up needing a massive tank for that stocking level. What are your plans for the next 8-12 months to ensure you don't fall into the mold of an irresponsible fish keeper?

HorrorShowRot
12-21-2009, 09:17 PM
Don't do it... You need to get a bigger tank right now. Sure he looks small in there now but he will no doubt double his size in a year. And adding more will cause him and all the other fish to be stressed out causing disease/sickness killing your fish. Soo my bet would be use ur current tank as a grow out tank for the one and upgrade to a massive tank 200-300 gallons or more then you can get a good pred tank going.

Demjor19
12-22-2009, 01:54 PM
Get a 6x2 tank and this will more than likely work fine. Otherwise you are setting yourself and the fish up for failure. As said above...this fish may look small at the moment and the tank may look empty, but he will grow to 18+ inches. A couple of 18+ inch fish in a 4' tank doesn't sound too good to me. ...and believe me...gar grow FAST!

skullduggery1
01-05-2011, 03:30 PM
Water changes twice a week and feed frozen/thawed smelt.shrimp,and scallops,as feeders carry all kinds of different nasty's.Then plan on a larger tank,like a square aquarium so the gar can turn around in it comfortably.Or a prefab pond would work with floating plants to make them feel secure.It is a hardy fish that has survive prehistoric times,so you would have to neglect it a lot to kill it.

fishsafari
01-05-2011, 06:53 PM
I have read, but can't confirm, that it is better to "step up" a Gar as it gets bigger, as regards tank length. Some say they are susceptible to breaking their spines if they are in a tank long enough for them to get up too much speed and hit the end.

We started ours in a 55. He did well, but at ten and a half inches, the 12 inch turn-around space looked too crowded. He's now loving his new 75, which gives him much, much more room to turn and swim.

I have thought about a tankmate for ours. One large, passive fish I tried ended up herded all over the tank by the Gar, never bit, nipped, or attacked, just herded and stressed. I removed it, of course.

You could try another Gar, or two, I guess--you would see a group in the wild, and one of our public aquariums has a fantastic looking group of 20 or so in a tank. Aside from any tank size issues, I would be concerned about the following:
1. Your new Gars will be wild-caught, and may bring pond lice or other wild organisms or parasites into your tank.
2. Personalities may clash, and you might need to remove one or more within minutes of introduction.
Both concerns could be addressed if you have another big tank to use as quarantine (1) or to remove a bully.

fishsafari
01-05-2011, 07:20 PM
I have read, but can't confirm, that it is better to "step up" a Gar as it gets bigger, as regards tank length. Some say they are susceptible to breaking their spines if they are in a tank long enough for them to get up too much speed and hit the end.

We started ours in a 55. He did well, but at ten and a half inches, the 12 inch turn-around space looked too crowded. He's now loving his new 75, which gives him much, much more room to turn and swim.

I have thought about a tankmate for ours. One large, passive fish I tried ended up herded all over the tank by the Gar, never bit, nipped, or attacked, just herded and stressed. I removed it, of course.

You could try another Gar, or two, I guess--you would see a group in the wild, and one of our public aquariums has a fantastic looking group of 20 or so in a tank. Aside from any tank size issues, I would be concerned about the following:
1. Your new Gars will be wild-caught, and may bring pond lice or other wild organisms or parasites into your tank.
2. Personalities may clash, and you might need to remove one or more within minutes of introduction.
Both concerns could be addressed if you have another big tank to use as quarantine (1) or to remove a bully.[/QUOTE]

Demjor19
01-06-2011, 04:42 AM

This is absolutely true and is a great method for raising yoy Gar.

The best tankmates I have found for Gar are...Other Gars, Bichirs, Arowana, and my Bowfin seems to do okay with them (although he gets a little crazy at times). Also some mid-sized peaceful catfish seem to do okay with Gars (no TSN or RTC).

Just my 2 cents...

Demjor19
01-06-2011, 04:49 AM
Water changes twice a week and feed frozen/thawed smelt.shrimp,and scallops,as feeders carry all kinds of different nasty's.Then plan on a larger tank,like a square aquarium so the gar can turn around in it comfortably.Or a prefab pond would work with floating plants to make them feel secure.It is a hardy fish that has survive prehistoric times,so you would have to neglect it a lot to kill it.

This is somewhat true, but is no excuse for poor husbandry. Also...These fish have several severe health issues that can result from keeping them in poor conditions of which most people have no clue about. I have seen/rescued some pretty messed up Gars that were kept in substandard living conditions. just a though...

Crispy
01-06-2011, 12:34 PM
although valid points, this thread is 18 months old and I don't think the op is around anymore.