PDA

View Full Version : Any good pleco tank mates for a royal?

Bennlfer
09-06-2009, 02:22 AM
Hi i recently purchased a royal pleco(He is only like 2 inches long maybe 2.5). He is awesome and i love to watch him, but he is not the most colorful. I was thinking of getting him a more colorful little buddy, say a lemon spotted green pleco. Do you guys think they will fight? Has anyone kept royals with other plecos? If so, what kinds? If there is a chance of them squabbing then ill just stay with my royal, but id love another cool pleco they are the best! :)

VoidParadigm
09-06-2009, 02:38 AM
How big is your tank?

Bennlfer
09-06-2009, 04:12 AM
Only a 4 foot long 60 gallon right now but its gonna be a 100 or more by the end of the month.

VoidParadigm
09-06-2009, 01:28 PM
I haven't been able to find any information regarding suitable tankmates for royals being other plecos. I'll give this a bump anyways, in case someone else knows.

Lady Hobbs
09-06-2009, 01:32 PM
I'd stick with one just due to the sheer volume of waste one provides.

VoidParadigm
09-06-2009, 01:35 PM
I'd stick with one just due to the sheer volume of waste one provides.

Good point. I always forget plecos produce a lot of waste due to the fact they're usually labeled in-store simply as "Algae Eaters" That name makes it sound to me like it's a cleaner fish, not as bad as a right old fat goldfish. :lol:

Crispy
09-06-2009, 04:01 PM
I keep my 6 inch royal pleco with a number of other bottom dwellers. Check out my signature, that'll tell you what gets along in my tank with the royal. They definitely don't like other royals, but any other kind of pleco should be okay. Keep ontop of your bioload though, cuz all plecos are waste machines. Make sure you have plenty of driftwood and veggies for your royal and also some type of sinking pellet.

Bennlfer
09-07-2009, 01:01 AM
Thank you guys :) I am more than willing to put up with the extra waste for another pleco. Also, good point on that misconception about plecos, a lot of people have it. But i know how messy they can get and im aware that i need to have ample filtration to house multiple specimens. I am very intrigued by the idea of an exclusively pleco tank, but i am afraid of disputes over territory and a very large tank would be needed to do this. So ill settle for one more i think, and beef up my filtration. Thanks again!