PDA

View Full Version : Should I just pull my plants out and treat with copper??

emilyekk
09-05-2009, 11:13 PM
I am having the worst snail problem ever.

At first they were just annoying, but now I think they are destorying my plants.

The tops of my giant hygros went from looking fine two days ago, to looking shredded and they are covered with snails... even though I smash snails like every two days.

I am so over it.

My boyfriends father has kept fish for like 30 years and has like a 300 gallon saltwater tank so I asked him for his opinion.
He said that he would treat with copper and it would kill the snails completely... only problem it would also kill my plants so he said of course not to do it.

I asked if it would hurt my fish and he said it absolutely would not.

I am about at my wits end with these darn snails.... could I just pull the plants out and keep them in a bucket of tank water for a couple days or something until the copper dosing or whatever takes effect?

This would also give me the opportunity to do the bleach rinse that I learned about after I had already put the infested plants into my tank.

Thoughts?? I know this may not be ideal but I am about to lose it with these dang snails.

I'd rather take my chances with a copper dosing (or whatever it is you do) then spending MORE money on fish or something that may or may not work.

I want a definite fix. lol.

aaaah, help me before I pull my hair out! lol.

ISquishWorms
09-05-2009, 11:30 PM
Hey,

I don't know if you have seen this article but I thought it might help so here is the link. http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/snail/coppersnail.php

Anyway I am sure others will post as to what to do about your snail problem. I also have snails in my tank but mine do not seem to be multiplying to much at the moment so have decided not to do anything about them.

ISquishWorms.

smaug
09-05-2009, 11:37 PM
break the tank down,dont hurt the filter but wash everthing else in very hot water.When you start the tank up get some small chain loaches to pick off the snail spawn while its small.

Oscarwild
09-05-2009, 11:51 PM
Looking at a natural way of getting rid of them would be better.
You could try some Clown Loaches for the smaller snails. Beware, they get big (20cm), so you don't want to get too attatched to a clown loach unless you can provide a suitable home for it. Put 2-3 of them in & they will knock down the snails fairly quickly.
You can remove the larger snails by hand. Or you might like to use a trap. You can use a piece of PVC pipe with a large enough diameter as a trap. Just cap one end. Put in a bit of lettuce for bait. Then just wait until they crawl in. Pull the trap & empty out the snails.
This isn't the quickest method around & it may take several weeks to get the population under control. But you won't have to pull your plants.
There are other snail eaters but I can't remember any that are not cichlids off the top of my head.
If you want to pull your plants & treat with copper I would find clean container large enough for your plants to go into without crushing them & with enough room for a heater & airstone. The treatment will take several days if I'm not mistaken & the plants will die without heat.
Beware when introducing any new plants. Inspect them carefully for snails & remove them if there are any. You can also dip your plants in a very weak bleach solution to help kill off any nasties that might be on them before planting in your tank.

emilyekk
09-06-2009, 12:09 AM
Looking at a natural way of getting rid of them would be better.
You could try some Clown Loaches for the smaller snails. Beware, they get big (20cm), so you don't want to get too attatched to a clown loach unless you can provide a suitable home for it. Put 2-3 of them in & they will knock down the snails fairly quickly.
You can remove the larger snails by hand. Or you might like to use a trap. You can use a piece of PVC pipe with a large enough diameter as a trap. Just cap one end. Put in a bit of lettuce for bait. Then just wait until they crawl in. Pull the trap & empty out the snails.
This isn't the quickest method around & it may take several weeks to get the population under control. But you won't have to pull your plants.
There are other snail eaters but I can't remember any that are not cichlids off the top of my head.
If you want to pull your plants & treat with copper I would find clean container large enough for your plants to go into without crushing them & with enough room for a heater & airstone. The treatment will take several days if I'm not mistaken & the plants will die without heat.
Beware when introducing any new plants. Inspect them carefully for snails & remove them if there are any. You can also dip your plants in a very weak bleach solution to help kill off any nasties that might be on them before planting in your tank.

First off - thanks to everyone who's posted so far. I appreciate the advice.

My tank currently doesn't have a heater. I live in South Florida and it is always ridiculously hot out so our ac is always set and running at 78 degrees, the tank is ALWAYS at 79, lol. I don't think it every fluctuates unless I am doing a water change and doing a bad job of judging the temp. of the new water I am adding (this had never really been an issue, one time when I first started I had it too cold but even then the tank was at 77).

ANYHOW.

I am thinking the copper sounds like the best option for me at this point.

I would really really hate to break the tank down. I also have sand as my substrate and it was such a pain in the *** to start with I don't even want to think about dealing with it again.

I could deal with 4 days of my tank having no plants so long as those little suckers die.

I don't want to get a clown loach (or anything for that matter) if the purpose of getting it is only to erradicate the snail population. Also I have yet to find a store that would even let me return the fish if I have it for more than 24 hours. & I really don't want to be stuck with a fish I don't even want.

Anyhow. So I should basically just get a REALLY large buckets, an airstone and airpump and let the plants float? Should I put the bucket outside so they still get light? Or should I just leave inside in the house?

Does anyone have any tips on what copper solution would work best?

Thanks so much. :)

edit:: I should also mention I've tried trapping the snails about 10 different times but rarely do I catch any and if I do I get like 2... they are just multiplying at the rate of like 200 a day (I am not kidding either, I am INFESTED), so I unfortunately need a surefire and quick fix.

Aeonflame
09-06-2009, 12:27 AM
Sounds like you need a couple loaches as suggested. I had the same problem in a 55 gallon and they cleaned all of them out.

emilyekk
09-06-2009, 12:33 AM
Sounds like you need a couple loaches as suggested. I had the same problem in a 55 gallon and they cleaned all of them out.

If you guys truly think loaches would be the easiest way to go, I'll get them.

But I already have 12 bottom feeders (or will eventually once I finish adding a few cories to the schools that are already in).

I really am not thrilled with my choice of loaches tho... I like the clown loach a lot but apparently my tank is too tiny - and I love the look of kuhli's but I heard they aren't that efficient at killing snails and that would really be the ONLY reason for adding loaches. I really don't like the look of YOYO loaches at ALL... and those are supposedly the best for my tank. :(

My other option is dwarf puffers but I heard they may hurt my other fish.

Ugh... this is enough to make me regret even bothering with live plants.. stupid snails. :/

emilyekk
09-06-2009, 12:55 AM
Hey,

I don't know if you have seen this article but I thought it might help so here is the link. http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/snail/coppersnail.php

Anyway I am sure others will post as to what to do about your snail problem. I also have snails in my tank but mine do not seem to be multiplying to much at the moment so have decided not to do anything about them.

ISquishWorms.

thanks for this! I had not seen it yet... I am now thinking maybe I WILL go with cooper... it just sounds so much easier.

And knocks out snails in two hours?! Wow.

I'd be in heaven.

Where would I buy this? The LFS? Would it be under that name or is it sold under something else do you think?

edit:: ALSO - if it came down to it, I could also take the fish out of the tank for days... I wouldn't think it would be that bad right?

I could my betta (currently in a five gallon) in a bowl for a few days and put him back when the copper has run its course. I could move the mollies or the cories to the 5 for a few days and get another giant bowl for the tetras I suppose... or would it be better to just take my chances and leave them in the tank with the copper medicating?

ALSO- (if the fish are removed) should I turn my filters OFF so that the copper stays in the tank and isn't getting stuck in my filter media?? And then do a massive water change when I am done? Or do I add something to the water to make the copper go away when I am done with treatment?

I really think I'd rather do this rather than buy MORE fish. If anyone has done this , pls let me know how you did it.

Thanks. =)

Lady Hobbs
09-06-2009, 01:04 AM
http://www.aquariumplants.com/Articles.asp?ID=111

This may be something you might want to read.

I have too many snails, too, and I know how annoying they are. I hate 'em.

emilyekk
09-06-2009, 01:10 AM
http://www.aquariumplants.com/Articles.asp?ID=111

This may be something you might want to read.

I have too many snails, too, and I know how annoying they are. I hate 'em.

thanks for that... my plants will definately be getting a bleach dip while they are out of my tank! Lol.

Oscarwild
09-06-2009, 01:13 AM
If you don't go the natural way then plants in a bucket with just the airstone for circulation will be fine. (sorry didn't notice you were in Florida!)
Copper treatments are bad news for bacteria populations so I would imagine disconnecting the filter altogether would be the way to go if you remove all the fish. You can remove the copper treatment by using carbon in your filter. Even better if you can put a box filter or small internal filter in to do the removal so your main bacteria colony stays safe.
If you leave the fish in during the treatment, use a second filter & disconnect your main one from the tank altogether.
I think you would find the trap & loaches very effective & several weeks is just me giving heaps more time than they should take to do the job. More like 1 week before they have most of the population under control if you remove any snails too big to be eaten.
Most aquariums are happy to trade fish in for you & give you store credit that you can spend on other fish or equipment you actually want.
Do the trap in any case. I have used the trap before & was pulling out 20-30 snails at a time until numbers got down. A coke bottle with the neck cut off will work to. Just make sure you bury it in the sand far enough for the snails to get in easily. Empty it morning & night.

emilyekk
09-06-2009, 01:24 AM
If you don't go the natural way then plants in a bucket with just the airstone for circulation will be fine. (sorry didn't notice you were in Florida!)
Copper treatments are bad news for bacteria populations so I would imagine disconnecting the filter altogether would be the way to go if you remove all the fish. You can remove the copper treatment by using carbon in your filter. Even better if you can put a box filter or small internal filter in to do the removal so your main bacteria colony stays safe.
If you leave the fish in during the treatment, use a second filter & disconnect your main one from the tank altogether.
I think you would find the trap & loaches very effective & several weeks is just me giving heaps more time than they should take to do the job. More like 1 week before they have most of the population under control if you remove any snails too big to be eaten.
Most aquariums are happy to trade fish in for you & give you store credit that you can spend on other fish or equipment you actually want.
Do the trap in any case. I have used the trap before & was pulling out 20-30 snails at a time until numbers got down. A coke bottle with the neck cut off will work to. Just make sure you bury it in the sand far enough for the snails to get in easily. Empty it morning & night.

I don't know why I but I have never had any luck with the traps. Maybe my snails are smarter than I thought, lol.

If I *DID* go with the loaches, what kind and how many would you say to get (providing that I plan to keep them, and not trade them in).

My stock list is in my sig and I will eventually have 6 of each type of cory, so 12 bottom feeders total.

Also - will the loaches eat the snails that are on the plants?? Thats where most of them seem to be congregating.

bushwhacker
09-06-2009, 02:55 AM
if you do the copper treatment you will never be able to put other inverts in the tank so forget shimp or the other types of snails... you got pond snails they came on the plants. a 20 second bleach dip with all new plants and ya dont get em... check around maybe you can find some assasin snails thats all the do is kill and eat snails

emilyekk
09-06-2009, 03:26 AM
if you do the copper treatment you will never be able to put other inverts in the tank so forget shimp or the other types of snails... you got pond snails they came on the plants. a 20 second bleach dip with all new plants and ya dont get em... check around maybe you can find some assasin snails thats all the do is kill and eat snails

Yeah that's fine with me. lol. I'm not a fan of inverts at all. :)

Oscarwild
09-06-2009, 03:30 PM
I would probably put two to four clown loaches in depending on just how big they are when you get them.
I forgot about this guy though: Megalodoras Irwini - Snail Eating Doradid. I don't know if you can get them where you are but one of these will clean out a tank full of snails in about a week. Beware though this is not a small fish. They reach about 2ft in length so you would only want a small one. On the plus side though they do grow slowly & eat HEAPS of snails. I'm not entirely certain but I think the common talking catfish (amblydoras hancocki), eats snails as well & only reaches about 12cm.
After the doras had done it's job you could just keep 1 chain loach to eat all the little snails before thay become a problem.

emilyekk
09-06-2009, 05:14 PM
could anyone tell me where I am supposed to get copper sulfate pentahydrate (mentioned in this link http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/snail/coppersnail.php)?

Is it sold under that name? Do I buy at the LFS or do I get it somewhere else?

Wild Turkey
09-06-2009, 06:11 PM
Copper can harm your corys, and other sensitive fish.

I like smaugs idea personally.

Without being too blunt, treating the tank with copper isnt going to help you out in the long run. Its a "quick fix" that will limit your stocking options for a long time, and if you have live plants, generally you are going to end up with snails. Much better for you would be learning how to manage the snails, as its a really common problem that pretty much anyone who wants to go planted is going to have to weather.

Trim dead or dying plants immediately.

Scrape algae before you do your waterchanges, and suck up the algae

Dont overfeed.

If you stick to those, snails really shouldnt be much of a problem

Most likely the plant that they all the sudden decided was tasty was dead or dying, the snails can kinda tell before you can.

tori.lock
09-06-2009, 08:20 PM
This might have already been posted, but when I got my plants I was warned about a snail explosion. The man told me, and I've read in a number of places that if you get a zucchini and cut it down the middle length-wise and anchor it to the bottom all the snails will go for that. I'd suggest removing the plants for a while anyways. Leave it for a few hours with the lights off, and then all the snails, or a good most of them, should be on it. Just take it out and toss it. Repeat as necessary.

smaug
09-07-2009, 12:10 AM
could anyone tell me where I am supposed to get copper sulfate pentahydrate (mentioned in this link http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/snail/coppersnail.php)?

Is it sold under that name? Do I buy at the LFS or do I get it somewhere else?
We have been amiss in helping this poster.This is the info they want.
http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/236599/product.web

emilyekk
09-07-2009, 02:20 AM
Copper can harm your corys, and other sensitive fish.

I like smaugs idea personally.

Without being too blunt, treating the tank with copper isnt going to help you out in the long run. Its a "quick fix" that will limit your stocking options for a long time, and if you have live plants, generally you are going to end up with snails. Much better for you would be learning how to manage the snails, as its a really common problem that pretty much anyone who wants to go planted is going to have to weather.

Trim dead or dying plants immediately.

Scrape algae before you do your waterchanges, and suck up the algae

Dont overfeed.

If you stick to those, snails really shouldnt be much of a problem

Most likely the plant that they all the sudden decided was tasty was dead or dying, the snails can kinda tell before you can.

This is the only issue I have with this... I don't have another tank to put my fish in while I am doing that...

I'm not trying to get a quick fix (well, I guess I am, lol, but if hard labor is the only option I'll do it). I just don't know how I could break a 55 gallon tank down COMPLETELY and how I'd get all the sand out and house the fish.

If anyone has any ideas on the easiest/best way to break a tank down I am open to it.. I guess the task just seems daunting and impossible right now.

I have a bucket the plants could go in... I don't have anything to put the fish in. Could I leave the sand IN the tank and then fill it with boiling water? Or would that be bad for the seaming? If I couldn't do that, whats the best way to get all the sand out? I feel like even if I do my best getting alllll the sand out I am going to miss something and still have snails, lol.

I am looking at my tank now trying to decide how I would do this and it just seems impossible (I know it's not really IMPOSSIBLE- I just don't know where to begin).

Also - the plants they chewed on actually have been the healthiest of all of them ever since I have gotten them... I understand perhaps they were going bad and I couldn't see it but it just seems unlikely.. all of the plants were doing great and they were doing better than great.

Just confusing.

I don't want to hurt my cories at all so I guess I am going to have to break the tank down... I have just never had to do this before, and like I said... I have no idea where to start... or where to put my fish. :(

Wild Turkey
09-07-2009, 02:25 AM
I wouldnt break the tank down at all. That wasnt what i was suggesting if thats what you mean. I suggest doing the things I listed above and since you already have more than desired, remove them by hand, traps or just bait them with cucumber or anything really.

I would try that long before I thought about breaking the tank down because of some lousy ps ;)

emilyekk
09-07-2009, 02:33 AM
break the tank down,dont hurt the filter but wash everthing else in very hot water.When you start the tank up get some small chain loaches to pick off the snail spawn while its small.

Wild Turkey that's what I thought you were suggesting, lol. Did you just mean the chain loaches from smaugs post was the idea you liked?

I have been feeding like a pinch a day for food and they always seems STARVING and no food touches the bottom or lasts longer than about 30 seconds so I am fairly sure I am not overfeeding (probably underfeeding tho :().

Should I trim ALL of the branches of the decaying leaves? Or should I just cut the dying leaves off?

Also - do you think just getting some loaches (what kind would YOU suggest?) would be my best option? (I was initially just trying to avoid this because A) it might not work well and B) its more money and fish and if it doesn't work well that would suck lol).

Honestly the pond snails wouldn't annoy me so much if they weren't killing my plants. Before the destruction I wasn't that frustrated - more just annoyed - but after my pretty pretty plants start looking like torn cheesecloth is when I got to my wits end, lol.

edit::::: ALSO - when I get the loaches, how many can I and should I get? Keep in mind I have 12 corycats (or will have to have 12 eventually... currently only have 9) :)

Wild Turkey
09-07-2009, 03:02 AM
Yea sorry I meant the loaches lol Thats my fault for reading too fast

Chain loaches are a good idea, they are small. Start with a small group, 3-6 is fine OR you could "borrow" a clown loach from a lfs and return it. It will put a serious dent in the population in just a few days

Trim anything thats dead or dying and remove it, thats all potential food, so potential snails.