PDA

View Full Version : PH adjuster, water ager, with carbon

crackatinny
03-30-2007, 12:27 PM
If I put water ager and PH down in my tank whilst the filter is on with carbon in it, will it still work?, or will the carbon affect it?

Chrona
03-30-2007, 02:27 PM
If I put water ager and PH down in my tank whilst the filter is on with carbon in it, will it still work?, or will the carbon affect it?

Don't use pH down, try to get an Acid Buffer (like Seachem Acid buffer), especially if you have hard water. The cheapie pH down stuff doesn't keep the pH steady after lowering it at all.

What's the water ager btw? pH changing solutions will not be affected by carbon, and the water ager most likely will not either.

crackatinny
03-30-2007, 02:30 PM
Some stuff available in the US is not available over here, PH down is about my only option, at least in my small country town.

Water ager basically takes out all the chlorine and crap our councils over here put in the water out.

Chrona
03-30-2007, 02:36 PM
Some stuff available in the US is not available over here, PH down is about my only option, at least in my small country town.

Water ager basically takes out all the chlorine and crap our councils over here put in the water out.

Ah ok, the water ager won't be effected by carbon. In fact, it does kind of the same thing as carbon, only faster ;)

I would be careful with the pH Down and not use it unless you absolutely have to (which is really never the case unless you have some ridiculously high pH or are trying to breed sensitive fish - even discus do fine in pH's of 7.6). pH down will drop pH very quickly, but your water's buffering ability will bring it right back up the next day, and you will have to keep adding the stuff to bring it back down until the water loses most of it's buffering ability. And then the whole process starts again when you do a water change. As someone put it, messing with pH is "chasing the dragon" and the fish would much rather have a stable pH than an ideal one (and most likely, you fish are well adjusted to local water anyways)

Lady Hobbs
03-30-2007, 02:43 PM
Same here, crack. I can add pH down or proper pH and within hours it's right back to where it was. I will probably have to try water softeners of some kind (something with peat) to soften the water.

crackatinny
03-30-2007, 02:51 PM
Ok, I will check the water on the tanks they are coming out of over the next few days, and try to get a reading the same in this tank, if the PH down does not stay stable, the tanks they are in will probably have adjusted back to normal tap water anyway, which makes sense if the change was slow and the fish adapted with the change.

I will put in the water ager now.

This is going against the grain, and I will cop a lot of response about fishless cycling, but due to a bad overcrowding prob I will be putting my 2 silver sharks in, in about 2 days, as well as my 6inch each, oscar and red devil (who live peacefully together now).

If things start to look bad for these guys, I will get them out straight away, and cram them back from there new 120G condo, to there crowded tanks.

A340
04-07-2007, 06:53 AM
As someone put it, messing with pH is "chasing the dragon" and the fish would much rather have a stable pH than an ideal one (and most likely, you fish are well adjusted to local water anyways)
I agree, the number one killer of fish is most likely stress. If you're constantly messing with the pH and other water parameters, you're fish will never acclimatize to your tank. Best thing to do is get your water conditions as close as you can without adding chemicals and keep it at that.

Malawi cichlids as an example, like a ph of around 8.2. I never added anything to my tank (including Rift Lake trace elements/salt or buffers) and got the pH up to 8.0 (and stable) by simply using crushed coral as substrate. The fish grew like no tomorrow and had the most amazing colors.

Not to hijack the thread, but what would be a good natural way to lower pH values? Adding peat to a canister filter is one way, but I only have a HOB and internal filter, so I'd have to do a bit of fiddling around to try and find a place for it. What about adding driftwood?

Patrick :22: