PDA

View Full Version : thinking outside of the tank lol

rookie
09-04-2009, 11:24 PM
my gf has two betta's in a split tank however unfortanatly i cannot afford a new tank that i can put a filter on. well for now untill i we can get that tank i was trying to think outside the tank for ideas on how i can make there tank more livable for them. i was thinking that i could take some of the already cycled bio media from my big tank and use that as the substraight for the bettas to try to keep there ammonia at a level of 0. will that work.

VoidParadigm
09-04-2009, 11:42 PM
Maybe? I honestly don't know. Do lots of water changes is all I can tell you.

LadyHatred
09-04-2009, 11:46 PM
What are you using as a divider? When my 10 was split, I had only one filter running on it. Worked fine. The heater was in one part, filter in the other. If it's completely sealed off, then maybe sponge filters in each compartment?

rookie
09-05-2009, 12:32 AM
the tank is very oddly shaped my gf bought it at petsmart. it was made for bettas and has a solid divider. i deffinatly have to get them a bigger tank because i cant leave them on the counter because my cats will get to them. when i got the bettas the cats were too small to jump up on the counter. right now i have to keep them all the way up on the top of the kitchen cabinets. atleast they have a birds eye view of the kitchen and living room. but i want to get something more suitable in the future. i just thought that i could get the tank to be cycled and just do alot of water changes.

rookie
09-06-2009, 06:00 AM
does anyone know if using the bio max for a substraite will work to keep ammonia levels down.

tori.lock
09-06-2009, 10:19 AM
I have my betta in a split tank (without the divider), it's really small and I'm hoping to get him a bigger one once I have a more reliable housing situation. (Dorm + big tank = Not possible.) I don't do anything for ammonia and I don't have a problem. Obviously lots of water changes help, and I'm not sure it if does anything for ammonia but I have two anubias in there with him. It helps keep the water clear and oxygenates the water for him so I don't need a bubbler or anything. It's been a week with him and so far all is well.

korith
09-06-2009, 11:57 AM
A small sponge filter may be an option, just need to hook it up to an air pump. A small sponge filter can be found for $2-3 and don't occupy that much space at all. Works well with betta tanks since they don't produce that much current.

If you can't find a sponge filter, a small box filter works too. Those are fairly cheap as well, a few dollars at my lfs and will not take up much space. Then you can fill it up with some pillow stuffing or other media.

Also you might want to check out craigslist, gotten a few free tanks from it complete with accessories. Also can find complete 10-20g systems for under $20 sometimes.