PDA

View Full Version : Another Feeding Question

tori.lock
09-04-2009, 06:28 PM
I see a lot of posts about how much to feed a betta, since they seem to eat until you stop putting food in their tank.It seems like the general consensus is around 4-5 betta pellets a day depending on the size of the fish. My question is concerning if it's better to feed them a larger meal once a day, or a smaller meal 2-3 times a day.

I feed my betta a mix of flakes and pellets and usually twice a day. He'll get a few bite-sized flakes, then probably 2 pellets with each meal. Sometimes he'll get more pellets, sometimes more flakes but that's usually what he gets. It seems to be working, but it's hard to tell if it's enough, too much, etc. When people say it depends on the size I really have no reference to go off. Moose is probably a little under an inch and a half long from the tip of his nose to his tail, not including the fins. I've had him a week today and haven't seen any reason to be concerned with the way I'm feeding him, but doesn't seem like it could hurt to ask.

As for bloodworms and all those goodies I'm planning a trip to get some hopefully this weekend. I'd like to be able to get him peas, but I don't have a proper freezer (dorm room) and I'm not sure they're selling peas individually yet.

I just attached an image of him so that you experts can see if there is anything wrong with his appearance health-wise. He's of course just a petstore mutt, but I love him all the same.

batmura
09-04-2009, 09:41 PM
Your betta looks great. Very healthy.

If I were you, I'd feed him 1-2 pellets twice a day. I usually feed him 1-2 pellets of NLS in the morning before I leave for work. Then, I feed him 1-2 pieces of dried blood worms in the evening when I get back home.

Your routine seems perfectly okay. I see nothing wrong with it. It's certainly enough. Anything more than that would be overfeeding.

Thanks!

Little Embers
09-04-2009, 09:55 PM
IMO smaller portions fed more frequently are much better for a fish's digestion and helps avoid constipation and bloat etc....also avoids some of the food going uneaten and getting left to decay.