PDA

View Full Version : Flamingo Gourami

holbritter
03-29-2007, 11:15 PM
Is what I have....not a honey gourami as I thought. The problem is I can't find any info on the net, about them. I found a pic of one from a forum archive, but that's it.
Can anyone help me with these little guys??

I was told the one's I bought were about as big as they get, and the largest is a little over 1".

This pic is NOT mine, but borrowed because I can't get a good pic of mine.

Abbeys_Mom
03-29-2007, 11:31 PM
It's probably a colour morph. A red mixed with gold. Still looks like a honey gourami.

kimmers318
03-30-2007, 02:44 AM
Looks just like my little honey gourami although quite pale in the body. Mine are vivid yellow.
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h216/kimmers318/tetras%20and%20gourami/honey2.jpg

Drumachine09
03-30-2007, 02:45 AM
Neat looking fish!

holbritter
03-30-2007, 09:36 AM
Yeah, they are all the same color and such....and small.
They are a neat little fish though. Pretty active all over the tank, and since I added the other 2, there is no chasing going on.

When I got them, I thought they were the Honey Gourami, and would get a little bigger. Hopefully when my angel grows up, it won't be a problem. Right now they all get along great.

Can Honey's get along with other gouramis that are bigger? That's what I was originally looking for when I was searching the net.
They don't seem shy at all, and look like they can hang with the big guys...but not sure.
You know....kinda like the Chiuahaua thing(I have one of those too) Tough guys in a small package :hmm3grin2orange:

kimmers318
03-30-2007, 11:12 AM
It will all depend on how aggressive the larger gourami and angel are. Mine were pretty shy except for feeding time, and they don't approach other fish, just keep to themselves.

sergo
03-30-2007, 12:34 PM
that's a cool looking little guy.

Abbeys_Mom
03-30-2007, 12:41 PM
I looked into it a bit more and I think Flamingo Gouramis are their own subspecies. They aren't supposed to get more then 2-3 inches. Here's the only pic I could find. They don't seem to be very common in the aquarium trade. I also came across about 6 other species I have never heard of like the "False Eye-Spot Gourami" which is smaller then a sparkling gourami. I guess you learn something new everyday.

*Edit. I just scrolled back up to the top of the thread and I think it is the same fish, different picture, lol.

sergo
03-30-2007, 01:00 PM
now see what you've gone and done. you've made me want another fish now. jeesh!

Abbeys_Mom
03-30-2007, 01:05 PM
Upon further examination of the pic, I have decide they are the same pic, only flipped. You know you have a rarer fish, when there is only one picture of it on the internet.thumbs2:

holbritter
03-30-2007, 02:42 PM
Hey that is the same pic! I was goofing around with my daughter....making it "swim" upside down (did a little animation with it) and must have left it flipped. LOL...yup...it's the only pic I could find too.

sergo: go for it! They were only $4.99 at my LFS.

kimmers: I'll have to experiment once I get the new tank cycled. This way, if it doesn't work out, I'll have a place to put them.

kimmers318
03-31-2007, 03:31 AM
Best of luck to you, whatever he/she is "technically" s/he is beautiful. I would love to thave some but alas, I am fully stocked. Unless I can get rid of at least one of the kids I am screwed!

Lady Hobbs
03-31-2007, 03:58 AM
now see what you've gone and done. you've made me want another fish now. jeesh!

Don't ya hate that. Kimmers has me wanting the Congo Tetra now that I've downloaded that screen saver she directed me to. They are beautiful.

kimmers318
03-31-2007, 12:17 PM
Isn't that screensaver the best? I love it!

YaYgoldFish
04-06-2007, 06:21 AM
They don't seem shy at all, and look like they can hang with the big guys...but not sure.
You know....kinda like the Chiuahaua thing(I have one of those too) Tough guys in a small package :hmm3grin2orange:

i have 2 with 2 barracudas lol...no problem.

mlw
03-19-2008, 12:18 AM
I just purchased gouramis labeled Flamingo Gouramis. Mine are small about an 1 long. The clerk said they would maybe get a 1/2 inch larger. Mine look similar to the picture except the bottom fin has turquoise green and the feelers have both the green and red color.

They are extremely active, eat algae and are small and peaceful but even now almost a year after the first post there is no information on them and no scientific name.

GouramiGal
03-20-2008, 03:33 PM
Wow! That's a neat looking fish. Keep us posted on its progress!

holbritter
03-20-2008, 04:39 PM
It is weird that all this time later, and there is still no info on them. My two in the hex tank I had did not live very long.

I now have 2 more that I purchased at the same LFS as the others, and they are maybe an inch right now. I know they will grow a little more though, as my other 2 did.

I love watching them dart around and check things out. They are not afraid of any of the fish that are bigger then them. Mine will eat the standard flakes and will nibble on shrimp pellets and frozen bloodworms.

MLW....we should keep records and do our own profile on these guys!

lasm
03-20-2008, 08:04 PM
MLW....we should keep records and do our own profile on these guys!

That's an excellent idea.

holbritter
04-12-2008, 11:48 AM
Well, my 2 little guys are still going strong! They survived the ick outbreak in my tank. Actually, they didn't seem affected at all. They are at least 1". Hard to measure because they dart around. They really like swimming in and around the plants looking for food that settled on them. Smart little guys. Independent and curious. Guess a regular gourami!