PDA

View Full Version : Minimum Tank Size?

Munko
09-04-2009, 03:04 PM
Good morning, I have a couple of questions:

(1) What is the minimum tank size to keep discus?
(2) I understand they are a schooling fish. Would they be happy in a pair or does there need to be a number of them?

I would love to keep these fish, but am definitely not going to if I am not providing them with a happy environment.

Thanks kindly for your help.

J

iZinedane
09-04-2009, 03:08 PM
heres a readup about them. :22:
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/discusfish/

Munko
09-05-2009, 04:17 PM
Thanks iZinedane. Upon this and further reading through the discus forum I have determined that they are currently not an optimal choice for me as I'm not in a position to set up a very big tank right now-- sad, but true. I will need to figure out another option for my new set-up....

DrNic
09-06-2009, 03:42 AM
Yeah discus are some of my favorite fish but require a HUGE amount of space. At least a 55G or bigger for 2-3 fish I think although I've never actually kept them.

domjd05
09-08-2009, 12:01 AM
It is POSSIBLE to keep a single discus in something like a 29g tank.. but.. I wouldn't recommend it unless you've successfully kept discus before, definately not a good way to learn... Good for you on knowing when to say no, and not just going ahead and doing it anyway, you just saved yourself a bunch of money!

Ashley
09-08-2009, 01:27 AM
they are schooling fish, and need quite a large amount of space and care. I've been seeing a lot of people on youtube having singles and pairs of discus in 29 gallon tanks, and they just look out of place, and really will once they reach full size. a 29 really looks awesome with a school or two of something smaller, like a tetra of some sort and then a med sized centre piece fish!

twoputt
10-09-2009, 10:10 PM
Discus like to be in groups of 5 or more. So you should have at least a 50 gallon aquarium for your discus.