PDA

View Full Version : Post your Home-made Fish food veggie reciepes!

roulfi004
03-29-2007, 12:21 PM
Anyone has Home-made vegetarian fish food reciepes?

Please include details

What do you feed your fish? what type of vegetables?

How do you prepare it? Do you mix them? freeze them? cut them in small pieces? leave leafs so that fish can have fun chomping from it? Do you mix it with bought flakes, pellets, etc.?

What should absolutely not be done or fed to the fish? and what are the common mistakes

Any specific liking/dislikings for different fish?

Lady Hobbs
03-29-2007, 01:54 PM
Mine get zucchini and romaine lettuce. I've not had luck with pea's but if given, they should be frozen pea's blanced and smashed open. Not canned pea's. Iceberg lettuce is NOT good for them so stick with romaine. I place the lettuce under a rock to hold it down. The zucchini I blanch for about 2 minutes in the microwave or it won't sink.

Loaches are said to like bananas but I also had no luck with it and it does mess up the water.

Blood worms are treats not a food and should only be given a couple times a week after their regular feeding as a dessert...not a main meal.

If you don't give veggies, give Spirulina Flakes so they get their veggie in some fashion. Careful with the meat products, as well, as it can cause bloat in some. I've read dwarf cichlids should not have blood worms at all due to this.

Let them go a day without now and then to clean their systems out. They won't die if they don't eat for a day or two.

William has a homemade fish receipt right here on his site.
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishfood/fordummies.php

Stick with a good brand of fish food. New Life is said to be the best.

Just my 2 cents.

Chrona
03-29-2007, 04:02 PM
If you use New Life Spectrum, you do not need any kind of supplemental foods. That being said, prior to switching foods, I added blanched zuchini's for the otos and crushes frozen peas (thawed) when anyone got bloat.