PDA

View Full Version : New Project

Sarkazmo
09-03-2009, 09:12 AM
Can you guess what I'm making???

Sark

http://v1vtha.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pPstV94RqmFHWRmydZBIWOwX6GwVjmkmVdParrlHmk-Ofu9WDd9ch9MDcGR4sMCPhWBlH5-EGI4t27qBm1KB7d2tFHQXt2EtW/100_4390%20-%20New%20Project.JPG

Mith
09-03-2009, 09:59 AM
LOL....can we have another clue?

robflanker
09-03-2009, 10:20 AM
You are on a fish forum and you are posting in General Aquarium...

Lemme guess a new tank?

Wow. Shocker.

Crispy
09-03-2009, 10:27 AM
A grow-op maybe? lol.... looks like a reptile tank?

Sarkazmo
09-03-2009, 10:55 AM
I'm building a new tank, yes, duh. :P

I've been wanting to do a shrimp tank up proper and I've been wanting to do a sand substrate tank... and I need more room for plants. I'm also poor and cheap so we're doing this one as cheaply as possible just to show what one can do on a limited budget. I'm going to try and document this one from the very beginning.

Sark

Mith
09-03-2009, 11:14 AM
Pardon my ignorance, but what makes a shrimp tank a shrimp tank?

iZinedane
09-03-2009, 11:21 AM
Pardon my ignorance, but what makes a shrimp tank a shrimp tank?

it has ONLY has shrimp? :hmm3grin2orange:

Mith
09-03-2009, 11:24 AM
it has ONLY has shrimp? :hmm3grin2orange:

Jeeeeeez LOL

Sarkazmo
09-03-2009, 12:35 PM
Shrimpies only!!! Well, there may be some Ottos for algae control and they won't eat the shrimps.

I must add that washing sand in sorta like trying to wash water with water but not lose any of the original water... About 15ish pounds of Play Sand and 5 lbs of Estee's Ultra Reef sand mixed in. I think that I'm also going to mix in some natural coloured gravel for flavour.

My plants are growing so fast that I need another tank to plant them in, heh.

Sark

Sarkazmo
09-12-2009, 08:48 AM
The Red Cherry Shrimp tank is up and running finally! From the pic you'll swear there's no shrimp in the tank but there is... several adults and a horde of babies! :) I'm filtering with an Azoo Palm filter with sponge pre-filter and an air powered sponge filter. The bio-load at this time is very low so there shouldn't be an issue with the Palm's rating of 5 gallons. As always I'll be keeping a close eye on water quality. You CAN see a couple RCS in the pic below, see if you can find them. As always I welcome any questions, comments, or critical comments.

Sark

http://v1vtha.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pAoRcrBO2Uu-7eV0qkbSOP-KOfvnWdOp_fux82KHdS0SXFEpbvWBgikKxu4ovzqQYC54C9o50 SqcOkD8Shs64nbVx7ktONBd6/100_4406%20-%20Shrimp%20tank%20up%20and%20running.JPG

Lady Hobbs
09-12-2009, 08:54 AM
Tank looks very nice and since the topic is a shrimp tank I moved the thread to the shrimp section? Seemed to make more sense to me.

You have a nice home for your shrimpies. Makes me wish I had some cherry reds again. (My fish ate them)

VoidParadigm
09-12-2009, 01:37 PM
I found... well, just one. :lol:

In any case, I like the set-up. thumbs2:

mattsbottleofjager
09-12-2009, 01:49 PM
Nice looking tank, but I think its empty and he wants to see how many of us "see" his shrimp..... :hmm3grin2orange:

Lilium
09-12-2009, 04:24 PM
I see one in the middle of the sand.
And I think a smudge of one somewhere to the left of it. .-.

I set up a shrimp "tank". I like shrimps. :3

Hope all goes well.

Sarkazmo
09-12-2009, 04:52 PM
Well, RCS are tiny, heh. There's three adults that're pretty easy to find as two are near center from side to side. Next month I'll be adding probably about 20-25 super reds. By that time though the flora will have time to fill out and I'm sure that the ones I have will be trying to make more little ones by then as well, heh. That pic was taken about two hours after the tank was set up. The Palm filter's been running for months on the 1 gallon tank the shrimp were in so I don't have to worry about new tank syndrome plus the sponge filter'll help out.

Sark

Sarkazmo
09-13-2009, 09:21 AM
So what did it cost to do this RCS tank?

10G Blank: $10

Palm Filter: 9

Play Sand: 4
(I had a five lb bag of Estees' white Ultra Reef Sand from another project, it was like $4 but is not needed)

Sponge Filter: 4

Prefilter: 2

Manzanita: 5
(Part of a package of several pieces)

Mopani
and 6
Anubias
(RAOK, just had to pay shipping)

Stones: 4
(WalMart river stones in a pack, several left over)

Insulation board: 2
(Large sheet was $8 but I've used it for several tanks)

Clamp Light: 9
(WalMart tool section)

CFL light: 5
(WalMart 2pk GE 6500k Daylight bulbs $10)

Shrimp: 20
(Bought from EpicFish)

Water Lettuce, Frogbit, Hornwort and Java Moss was taken from other tanks of mine. Tiny air pump I had laying around from a aquarium kit. Same with airlines and stuff like that.

So the total for this project? $80

The RCS are going to be your biggest investment. Most of the rest can be gotten second hand or substituted. Plants can be had for next to nothing, free some times as long as you're not too picky. So this is something that most people could pull off pretty easily. If you're already in the hobby you'll have extra stuff you can use. So get to it! Make your own shrimp tank! :)

Sark