PDA

View Full Version : I would like a Dwarf Puffer and some others.

tybizzel
09-03-2009, 05:39 AM
Hey guys.
First question is if i can put some mini sharks(like bala shark) and angel fish in the same tank with just 1 drawf puffer.

Secound Question if its possible what size tank sould i be looking for with something like this.
1 dwarf puffer
3-4 bala or similar sharks
6 ottos
3-4 angels

it would be cool to get some snake heads or something also but from what i read a puffer should be by its self. Thx.

Bur01014
09-03-2009, 05:43 AM
I had a couple green spotted puffers and one of them tore my silver tip shark up. I am not sure on dwarf puffers, but would assume that would need to be in a species only tank. I have heard people risk housing them with others, depending on what their "personality" is you may get by. However, that is besides the point, bala sharks need a huge tank!!! They get really big, have to let an expert tell you how many gallons....probably 125 or so. Angels need a bigger tank as well, I think anywhere from 55 gal and up for 2 or more angels. Overall you need a good size tank for those fish, now housing any of them with dwarf puffers isn't wise, but then again, I know people who have done it successfully by picking out "mild mannered" puffers.....be prepare to return fish though if havoc breaks out. Also most puffer fish are brackish fish.....not sure on dwarfs though....I've read mixed information on internet sites....

Wiggs
09-03-2009, 05:45 AM
Hey guys.
First question is if i can put some mini sharks(like bala shark) and angel fish in the same tank with just 1 drawf puffer.

Secound Question if its possible what size tank sould i be looking for with something like this.
1 dwarf puffer
3-4 bala or similar sharks
6 ottos
3-4 angels

it would be cool to get some snake heads or something also but from what i read a puffer should be by its self. Thx.

First off, welcome to AC!

1. The dwarf puffers are usually best for species tank, by themselves. I believe they thrive in brackish water as well.

2. Bala and most similar "sharks" are schooling fish who arer best kept with 6+ of their own species. They are very fast and active swimmers, requiring a very large tank to properly house.

3. Otos are great :) they stay a good size for a smaller tank.

4. Angels are nice as well, provided that the tank you are thinking of keeping them in is tall enough. They should be kept in 40+ gallons, with bigger being better and taller being more important then width or length.

5. if you were to put that list of fish into a tank together, you would have some serious problems >.<

bushwhacker
09-03-2009, 06:14 AM
unless i am mistaken balas dont stay mini sharks... dwarf puffers will need a brackish tank as they grow. angels need a long tall tank

tybizzel
09-03-2009, 06:36 AM
Ok. That sucks those puffers look so cool. Thx for the quick replies

i_am_511
09-12-2009, 03:00 AM
No way Dwarf Puffer are 100% freshwater. No if ands or buts. Its a fact just look it up. Dwarf Puffers arent as bad as some people make them out to be. I guess some people have had bad luck with them. Ive brought mine for $4 each at my LFS. I have two females now in a 75 gallon with some other fish. My 1st puffer was in my 29 gallon and was the smallest but wasnt a nice fish bored and always picking with a few others but then i drop another one in there they squared up staring at each other and after 5 mins they been normal tag team since. They dont bother no one at all. I guess she just needed something of her own kind to pay attention to. Ive had 3 others but they died for random different reasons.