PDA

View Full Version : Good Tank Mates? Suggestions, Please...

Deleted User
09-02-2009, 07:25 AM
Right now, both of our male betta fish are in separate 2.5 gallon mini bow aquariums (with heaters and filters). If I were to upgrade them to 5 gallon mini bow tanks, I might like to put "something else" in with them. Could you all recommend what might be do-able in a 5 gallon aquarium with the betta as the central figure? Because I like keeping the bettas in the kitchen and the height between the counter and the cabinets, I may not be able to switch. But, on the other hand, I wonder if 10 gallon "traditional" tanks are any taller? Maybe I could really expand these guy's horizons!!!

Thanks for any advice.

Wiggs
09-02-2009, 07:29 AM
in a 5gal you may be limited, the 10 gal however would open up a few oppurtunities for you.

Various small tetras all work well with bettas, as do corydoras and other small community fish.

Goodbye
09-02-2009, 07:38 AM
A 10g would open quite a few options!

As Wiggs said above, small tetras and cories work well with bettas. Most smaller, community fish work well. Loaches, danios, rasboras, and smaller catfish all make excellent choices. I would stay away from other anabantids such as various gouramis as they may quarrel with the betta. Fin-nippers such as barbs are also not a good idea.

Another option would be shrimp, such as ghost shrimp. There should be plenty of plant cover if you decide to keep shrimp with your betta.

Agass

BirdOfPray
09-02-2009, 01:03 PM
I've always wondered -- do Galaxy Rasboras work with bettas, in general? I don't think I could do it in my hex tank because of the small footprint, but if someone had a larger tank? They're cute little things. I've heard otos and pygmy corys can be good options, depending on the betta. Again, not for my tank, but in a larger one.