PDA

View Full Version : how do i make fake plants?

chris hop
09-01-2009, 11:52 PM
i want my auarim to have good fake plants but they are so expensive so i need some good tips on makeing falke plants like how to do it.:feedback:

Crispy
09-02-2009, 12:20 AM
Check out some silk plants... they're cheaper and alot of big stores carry them.

DrNic
09-02-2009, 01:10 AM
I've never even heard of anyone making fake plants. With the effort and supplies it would require it seems like you might be better off checking around online for a cheaper solution.

Check around on various websites I'm sure you'll be able to find something. You'll probably be able to find fake plants cheap. Check craigslist as well. There are almost always people getting rid of tanks and decor.

You might also want to toss up a post in the classifieds looking for plants. Someone on the forum might be able to help you out.

EddyC
09-02-2009, 12:24 PM
I don't know about making fake plants from scratch, but you can go to an arts and crafts store and get your plants there. They're much cheaper. Just make sure they're unscented, and wash them well when you get home. You can also pull them apart and customize them however you want - attach to rocks and driftwood, combine with other plants to make nice groupings, etc.
There are a lot of people, especially those who keep non-plant-friendly fish who do that.

Lady Hobbs
09-02-2009, 01:22 PM
I've also used silk. You have to make sure no wires are exposed but they are all pretty much encased in plastic. I had the big vine looking things and attached suction cups to them and put them on the glass in the back. Looked a lot nicer than the sleezy plastic ones.

chris hop
09-02-2009, 02:44 PM
thanks for the help thumbs2:

Crispy
09-03-2009, 08:22 PM
I seen some fake aquarium plants at the dollar store.. doesn't get much cheaper than that.

Lady Hobbs
09-03-2009, 10:36 PM
I just posted this link for someone else but will post here, as well. I got bamboo from ThatPetsPlace that is really nice. Only $10 and 36 inches long and it was enough for my whole 55 gallon tank.

http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/group/11181/product.web

I don't know if you buy online much but ThatPetsPlace has the best artifical plants I've seen yet.

Here it is in an old tank I used to have. All this greenery was from that one plant for $10.