PDA

View Full Version : Decorating for a Fancy Goldfish Tank

Rue
03-28-2007, 11:09 PM
I get my 'new' 55g aquarium this weekend! It's for my 2 goldfish and the dojo... :19:

...and likely for 1-2 more fancies... :41:

I'm also planning an Amazon biotope tank (or pseudo-biotope)...so that will be decorated 'naturally'...

...so I was thinking that fancy goldfish have been bred so long...they're not remotely natural anymore...so really...anything goes...

However, I'm long past having an interest in any kitsch aquarium decorations...(such as skulls, divers, bubbling treasure chests...or ANYTHING to do with Little Mermaid or Nemo... :help: )

...anyone have any ideas of classy tank decor for the fancies? So far I haven't come up with anything satisfying...and I have to pick up new gravel tomorrow...so I need an idea of what to do...

Drumachine09
03-28-2007, 11:15 PM
uhhhhh, i dont think fancies are even remotly picky, but you could do some stacked slate. If you need a pic, let me know, ive got some stacked slate pics to share.

Rue
03-28-2007, 11:40 PM
...it wasn't for the fish...it's for me! :18:

...but sure! I'd love to see a pic of stacked slate! I really need ideas before I buy the gravel!

I'd prefer natural...but my daughter would like to stick with black...so I need something to work towards before I decide...

Drumachine09
03-28-2007, 11:45 PM
http://s162.photobucket.com/albums/t257/drumachine09/?action=view&current=FrolicingCichlids.flv

http://s162.photobucket.com/albums/t257/drumachine09/?action=view&current=LOLOLOLO.jpg

Whe had some peices of brick that were curved, so you could put acouple together to make a circle. I broke them up into smaller more managable peices. Those are the peices i put in between the slate.

Abbeys_Mom
03-29-2007, 12:02 AM
I would go for black or natural, a nice piece of driftwood, and some tasteful silk plants.

Rue
03-29-2007, 12:40 AM
Nice rockwork Drumachine! :D

Odds are all go with the driftwood and plants...

...and maybe some airbubbles for effect! Won't hurt the tank either!

Fishguy2727
03-29-2007, 12:56 AM
I left mine completely empty, the fish are enough decor on their own.

Drumachine09
03-29-2007, 01:37 AM
Nice rockwork Drumachine! :D

Odds are all go with the driftwood and plants...

...and maybe some airbubbles for effect! Won't hurt the tank either!

You dont have to do a huge rockstack. You can decorate it like i did in my 55 (check the TOTM submissions for week 4), and put driftwood in the middle (i had a peice of fake drift wood, and a fake tree trunk with holes in it) plants all around, bigger in the back, smaller in the front, and you can do two two tier small rock stacks on either side. Its really neat looking. If i can get to my main computer (im on the lap top) ill get you some better pics of the stacks in the back corners.

vdub
03-29-2007, 05:37 PM
im doin a alantis theme for my fancies, there is alot out there to do this kind of setting. i say do what ever you think looks good to you. get silly with it... make a sky setting, do a cloudy sky background and find something to put in the tank that looks like clouds kinda like a dream setting. or design the tank like a little doll house and then mr and mrs fish have a house fit for a king

Rue
03-29-2007, 11:07 PM
All good ideas! :D

I bought 50 lbs of black gravel today - and some of the least artifical-looking artificial plants...so I've committed!!! :lol:

I'm gonna try bottles first...if it doesn't look nice...haven't lost anything...

Drumachine09
03-30-2007, 02:00 AM
I'm gonna try bottles first...if it doesn't look nice...haven't lost anything...

What do you mean bottles? Like pepsi and coke?

Rue
03-30-2007, 02:06 AM
I'm going to look around to see what I have lying about that's useable...

...pop bottles, old wine carafs...anything that looks good...

I'll go for a 'Polluted Riverbed' theme!!!