PDA

View Full Version : Possible Algae Eaters?

VoidParadigm
08-31-2009, 07:46 PM
My Grandmother has a disabled goldfish in the tank at her place. It's about a twenty gallon. She's been having some problems with algae since it's a bit harder for her to do proper maintenance, but whenever I'm there I do anything I can think of, and scrub it out.

Is there any kind of small cleaner fish that wouldn't really affect the bioload and wouldn't be bothered by the goldfish but might make cleaning things a bit easier for her?

KingFisher
08-31-2009, 07:50 PM
I think snails might be your best bet. The other algae eaters I can think of prefer warmer temperatures than goldfish and any type of pleco would add a lot to the bioload. Maybe some nerites or a golden apple snail.

VoidParadigm
08-31-2009, 07:56 PM
Ack. Why didn't I think of snails?! We actually had two in there when I was living with her. They did a great job (until they started mating so much that they died from a lack of food. Sex kills. :lol:)

I'll have to call around and see what's available in Newfoundland.
Thanks a lot.

PostalPenguin
09-02-2009, 02:30 PM
Best snail would be nerites and since they dont breed in freshwater you wont have to worry about a tank full of snails.

VoidParadigm
09-02-2009, 02:33 PM
Thank you. The store with the best selection is two hours away, however he's not sure of what any of his are called by species name, so over the phone he wasn't very helpful. I'll just have to go and check it out when I'm in town next.

WhiteDevil
09-02-2009, 02:33 PM
no heater at all? I use OTO's but with no heat snails are your best bet.

nerites are a very good option, I use Malysian trumpets due to being planted, they do not reproduce unless the tank conditions call for it. selective birthing, why cant humans do this lol