PDA

View Full Version : Jewel cichlids

sid101
08-31-2009, 06:49 PM
I just got a couple of juvenile jewel cichlids for my 25gal tank, i think the tank may be a little too small would it? besides one (the smaller one) turned kinda dark in the last days and the big one a litle more shinny altho neither the big one or the small one are red yet, altho both show some of the shinny dot's they will have as adults, what would you think this change in color means?

MCHRKiller
09-01-2009, 12:10 AM
Stress from the move, probably. What are your water parms? Could also be high traces of ammonia or nitrite inducing stress onto the fish.

A 25G would be a good home for a mated pair of jewel cichlids, 2 females may also work but 2 males or a mated pair + extras would probably find the tank to restricting.

sid101
09-01-2009, 02:26 AM
I don't know what the sexes are, how can i differentiate? the big one has taken over the wood and the small one has found refuge behin the filter water pump and some moneyworth, it has changed from a neutral light gray to very dark to black in the front running across the upper side of the fish the big one is showing a more intense red color, this doesn't look like sexing or mating to me i may have to take one back to the store but i dont want to =(

Lab_Rat
09-01-2009, 04:54 AM
Jewels are highly aggressive, even for cichlids. I would not keep them in a 25g unless, like MC said, they were a mated pair and nothing else was in there. IMO, they get too big even for a 25g. The best thing for jewels would be a species tank with maybe 6 in a 75g with nothing else. Even then, one may kill everyone else off.

MCHRKiller
09-01-2009, 04:55 AM
Saw on another thread that these fish are not alone in that 25G? Jewels are highly aggressive little cichlids and will kill common community fish in their space. Personally I would take them back to the store, or return the others.

Sexing them is difficult. But typically males will have more blue speckling than females....and females will aslo typically be a bit deeper of a red hue and have a somewhat larger girth.

sid101
09-01-2009, 05:17 AM
Well I guess I will be taking them back tomorow, yes they are not alone and that's my concern when me and my gf saw them we got so amazed watching the adults we didn't really think it through altho I already had a list of fish, at least I can do this before they cause any harm. I guess after a long time without a tank some fish frenzy is to be expected.:hmm3grin2orange:

sid101
09-02-2009, 11:58 PM
Done, took back the cichlids to the store and brought home 6 more cardinals (for a total of 14) one glowlight tetra (got caught in the net while taking out the cardinals) and one amano shrimp. now the whole tank is happy, the shrimp is already eating and the cardinals caught up with the ones i already had here, the glowlight tetra is checking the new crib.