PDA

View Full Version : Female bettas in communities

jcarr71
08-31-2009, 04:22 PM
I'm planning and trying to arrange my fish (and tentative future fish) around my aquariums once I make my next tank purchase. I'm just going to list all the fish I own in various tanks or are seriously considering buying. Could you pick out which the female betta (which is still juvenile) will eventually take issue with from your experience?

Fish I own in various tanks:

zebra danios
black mollies
dalmation mollies
neon tetras
peppered cories
dwarf gouramis
pleco
x-ray tetras
emperor tetras
tiger barbs
red fin shark
guppy fry (may turn out to be some fancy males)

Fish I am thinking about:

red platies (almost definitely)
german blue rams (still researching)

Wiggs
08-31-2009, 04:28 PM
Ive kept a male betta with numerous small Tetras, Danios, and Cories for awhile now with o Aggression or nipping. I dont see the female having a problem.

jcarr71
08-31-2009, 04:35 PM
The only ones I worry about, honestly, are the Dwarf Gouramis because one is so colorful and wide. I'd worry about the aggressive fish too, but I'd never actually put her in with them.

Wiggs
08-31-2009, 04:35 PM
I wouldnt put her with Gouramis. Tiger Barbs, or the Shark.

WhiteDevil
08-31-2009, 07:52 PM
The girls are better in communities then boys, Ive had em both, had a mishap with females, somehow some way I managed to get a cambodian female betta( just down right mean fish by nature) in a matter of hours she killed the 3 other females, fate took over 3 weeks later and she was chasing fry and got her head stuck in the rocks.

the white bodies with red fins are female cambodians.

Bettas are very good community fish, kept em with dwarf gouramis before powder blue and sunset, no issues what so ever, the betta used to graze with the gouramis, im not sure if thats common but in MY tank they were better community fish then my zebra danios are.

geminidragn
09-01-2009, 05:56 AM
My cambodia female get along great with her "sisters". I have four females of different finnage and they get along with each other.

Make sure to introduce at the same time or there will be fighting. Granite there will be some chasing to establish pecking order. Just keep an eye on them.

I am still researching other fish to add with them as well; so I am curious to see what is posted.