PDA

View Full Version : Rena 2 Filter

Paco833
08-31-2009, 03:11 AM
Hi...my Rena 2 working great in my 46g...any thoughts on alternative or less expensive filter replacement materials ?

thanx,
Ed

MonkeyPox
08-31-2009, 03:13 AM
What filter media are you currently using and what are you trying to replace and why?

The biomedia shouldn't ever need to be replaced.

Wiggs
08-31-2009, 03:24 AM
I always used any Ceramics I could get, rather then the Rena Stars. They don't even give you enough to fill the filter, and packs of them are priced like they were made of gold.

Northernguy
08-31-2009, 03:45 AM
I like the aqua clear bio max! They last a long time.A lot longer than those rena stars do! I couldn't beleive that they completely disappeared in only a few months.
The biomax is a little cheaper and last for much longer!

smaug
08-31-2009, 05:51 AM
The best bio media I ever used is eheim substrate pro.It looks like cocoa puffs and can really be packed in there and still get good flow through.For the mech filtration basket I use the sponge material they come with..I do not use any chem filt in any of my tanks.Proper water management elimininates the need for that in normal circumstances.

terrapin24h
08-31-2009, 02:17 PM
let's see. To do it on the the really cheap, I have heard of people using those nylon scrubby balls for dish pans as biomedia, and pillow stuffing for floss. Personally, i use floss and the biomedia my fluvals came with, which seems to work well.

--chris

smaug
09-01-2009, 12:28 AM
Yes ,pillow floss works very well.

MonkeyPox
09-01-2009, 12:52 AM
The surface area makes them poor choices for a canister filter, especially one with only one basket.

smaug
09-01-2009, 12:53 AM
The xp-2 has 2 baskets.

kaybee
09-01-2009, 01:40 AM
For the XP2 I recommend using the 4 sponges (course and fine-pored which come with the canister) in the first basket. In the second basket use micron filter pad (100-micron), then load the basket with bio-media, the lastly, use a 50-micron filter pad). Configured this way you can achieve very effective mechanical and biological filtration.

I like the aqua clear bio max! They last a long time. A lot longer than those rena stars do! I couldn't beleive that they completely disappeared in only a few months.

Can you elaborate on the disappearing media?

Veloth
09-01-2009, 03:36 PM
I've had the Rena stars in my XP-3 for over a year and they lookthe same size as brand new.

smaug
09-01-2009, 11:23 PM
I like the aqua clear bio max! They last a long time.A lot longer than those rena stars do! I couldn't beleive that they completely disappeared in only a few months.
I just caught that myself.My stars have been in my filter for 4 years!What the heck kind of water do you have ng?