PDA

View Full Version : Please pray for Sparkle.

Chazbot
08-31-2009, 12:04 AM
My poor girl has dropsy. Why? I don't know. I've read and read about dropsy and the best answer seems to be that its a symptom - ok, but I still ask WHY?

My best guess is from a scrape she got from a cave in her tank. You can rest assured that that piece of S**T is no longer in the tank. Anyway, I noticed the scrape several days ago which prompted a thorough inspection of the tank - that's when I found the "spike" inside the cave and threw it out. In the interim I've added some new plants to that tank - maybe there was something on the plants or in the plant fert I've been using that's caused a problem. I honest to God do NOT know, but that's my best guess. Water is perfect, no stress other than that scrape. My hand coming in with the plants was cause for play and a great game of "attack Mommy's arm!" And Sparkle was the first in the group to inspect and wrap herself around new plants (Cabomba and Hornwort) and deem them acceptable.

The four other Betta ladies in this tank are in perfect health.

I was adding extra Stress Coat to the tank to help the scrape instead of stressing her by moving her to the qt. It seemed to be healing, but I began noticing yesterday that she seemed pale. Sparkle is RED. But the red seemed really faded. Today I noticed that she was hanging out at the water level in a corner of the tank. Not breathing hard. No difficulty swimming. But the big thing I noticed in addition to the paleness is - not eating. These ladies enjoy eating off my finger. Yeah - very spoiled. But I keep from over feeding by giving each lady two bloodworms or brine shrimp which they pluck off the tip of my finger. Sparkle was having none of it. But since I had the lid up and was looking down on them - that's when I saw the pinecone. I have to say I've seen worse, much worse, in pics on the web, but her scales are definitely standing out all over her body.

So after going blind reading everything I could find on dropsy and finding that there's really no ONE good way to treat it (if, in fact it's even treatable!) I've made up my mind. I'm NOT giving up on my girl. I just can't. I'm trying to just piece together a treatment, I guess you could say, and praying that it'll work.

Sparkle is now in a 5g tank by herself. I started by moving her to a 3/4 gallon bowl (with water from her regular tank) and added 1 tsp of Epsom salts to that. I let her stay in there while I set up the 5g. (we've done some tank "flipping" lately and the 5g was to be set up for a qt anyway) Once I got the tank ready and the temp good I put Sparkle - with the Epsom salt water - in the tank. The beautiful part is that once in the tank she got a little perky! She drifted around looking at everything and seemed happy with it all. Just for the heck of it, I dropped a tiny bit of flake food in too - AND SHE ATE IT!! Maybe the time in the concentrated salt water helped a little? No idea, but at least she ate something. THEN I added a dose of Maracyn Plus. It says right on the bottle that it treats dropsy, so here's hoping.

This tank is set up in my bedroom, too. It's quieter in there throughout the day and I plan to keep things a bit darker for her to encourage her to rest. Right now she's resting nicely - still have her light on just to help her adjust to the different tank, but she's not showing any outward signs of stress at all and seems perfectly at ease. Maybe she knows I'm trying to help her.

I plan to add another dose of Maracyn Plus in the morning, then proceed with the "day 1, 3, and 5" dosing (counting tomorrow as day one with just the "boost" of meds added tonight).

If anyone has any thoughts of something I could add to this treatment I'm all ears! One thing I would like to know - should I add more salt at any time? I read something about 1sp of Epsom Salts per 5g of water. Well that's what she's in now. I won't do any water changes during these first 5 days unless I have to because of chemistry so should I leave the salt level alone or add to it?

I'll update here and let y'all know how she's doing but your prayers would be much appreciated.

LadyHatred
08-31-2009, 12:20 AM
Aww! Good luck with her! I think I know what you are going through. The female bettas are such characters and easy to get attached to. I'd like to think they are smart enough to know what you are trying to do.

:11:

Chazbot
08-31-2009, 12:27 AM
Aww! Good luck with her! I think I know what you are going through. The female bettas are such characters and easy to get attached to. I'd like to think they are smart enough to know what you are trying to do.

:11:

Thanks LadyHatred! They are darlings aren't they? I love all my fish, but my girls are really special to me. I hope she knows I'm trying to help. She's spoiled ROTTEN. She's bound to realize I care about her so maybe... :ssmile:

I refuse to believe fish are as mindless as a lot of people think they are.

I know there are some who might say I'm being cruel and possibly prolonging her suffering. I would like to point out that if I reach a point where I really believe the situation to be hopeless, I'll start making some tough decisions, but for now I've GOT to try. I've just got to give her a chance.

Lab_Rat
08-31-2009, 12:50 AM
Good luck with Sparkle, I'll keep her in my prayers. The best thing to do for her is keep her water clean and fresh. But really, not much you can do for dropsy.

Though, are you sure it's dropsy? Could she be constipated? It might be worth a shot to try feeding her half of a blanched pea.

Chazbot
08-31-2009, 02:08 AM
Thanks Lab Rat!

Oh no, it's dropsy. She's "pine coned" all over. I have another Betta lady who is really prone to bloating and the scales on her little belly will raise up when she bloats but a 24 hour fast or a nice meal of peas and she slims right down. Sparkle's scales are raised all over her body from head to tail. :scry:

I feed peas regularly as a preventative. She wouldn't have anything to do with them today. She did eat just a small bit of flakes after being in the salt water but since then has been pretty still and just resting. I'll try again with the pea tomorrow, though.

I know, I'm not kidding myself at all, but I'm not giving up yet. I've read where several folks have successfully treated dropsy. I just hope I get to count myself among them.

Chazbot
08-31-2009, 11:35 PM
Well not much to report today. Sparkle's color seems a bit better but her scales are still raised. She doesn't have any trouble swimming around and will occasionally drift around the tank a bit but most of the time she just rests either on the bottom of the tank or near the water level.

She ignored the pea and bloodworm I've offered today, but did eat a piece of flake. I gave her a 30 minute bath in some Epsom salts, too, and added another dose of Maracyn Plus. That's really about it.

I'm still hoping. At present I don't really have that sort of "final" feeling, you know? I think she definitely appreciates being away from other fish and having the space to just chill out without being bothered. The reduction in light isn't bothering her either. We're just still in "wait and see" mode.

Lady Hobbs
09-01-2009, 01:15 AM
The Epsom salt is said to work with constipation but if this is swim bladder it likely won't help. Problem is that you never know where the swim bladder started. Could be due to rapid temp changes in the water, an injury from an object in the tank or another fish, generic, or just a species predisposed to have this problem.

I hope he makes it for you. For now, being alone and in a dark tank is probably a good thing because he's probably already stressed.

BirdOfPray
09-01-2009, 01:40 AM
Praying that she gets better! It sounds like you're taking very good care of her, and I'm sure you're making decisions with her best interest in mind. It doesn't sound at all like you're prolonging her suffering -- just giving her a fair chance. I don't know much about sick fish, but I know that with people and larger animals, rest and lowered stress can make a huge difference. Sounds like you're doing all you can. We're pulling for her!

Chazbot
09-01-2009, 07:16 AM
The Epsom salt is said to work with constipation but if this is swim bladder it likely won't help. Problem is that you never know where the swim bladder started. Could be due to rapid temp changes in the water, an injury from an object in the tank or another fish, generic, or just a species predisposed to have this problem.

I hope he makes it for you. For now, being alone and in a dark tank is probably a good thing because he's probably already stressed.

Thanks Lady H!

I think injury is the cause here. I've gone over this tank with a fine tooth comb and that's my best guess. She had a scrape on her side and now here we are.

Still hopeful. She's had a very restful day and her color IS better. The waiting - that's the worst.

Chazbot
09-01-2009, 07:21 AM
Praying that she gets better! It sounds like you're taking very good care of her, and I'm sure you're making decisions with her best interest in mind. It doesn't sound at all like you're prolonging her suffering -- just giving her a fair chance. I don't know much about sick fish, but I know that with people and larger animals, rest and lowered stress can make a huge difference. Sounds like you're doing all you can.

Thanks Bird!

I really do appreciate the kind words from everyone! It's nice to know there are folks who understand that no it's not "just a fish." I hate that attitude!

I hope you never have to learn about sick fish. But this is the "nature of the beast" with pets isn't it?

Yeah, rest and low/no stress is always better. They say the same for birds - dark room, cover the cage. Sparkle is getting plenty of rest - I'M the one with the stress! :ssmile:

We're pulling for her!

Thanks so much, really. I hope I have some GOOD news to report soon!

Deleted User
09-01-2009, 11:33 AM
I hope she will be okay and that there will be good news soon. A pet is a pet is a pet... I know how upsetting it can be when one you love is sick. We're newly back into fish and have two bettas, which we'd never kept before. I think they've got a lot of personality and they are not "just fish" but they really do have individual personalities and are characters in their own ways. I hope your little Sparkle will be well soon and she is lucky to have such a good person to take care of her!

BirdOfPray
09-01-2009, 01:07 PM
It's nice to know there are folks who understand that no it's not "just a fish." I hate that attitude!

Hey, when I was a kid we took my pet gerbil to the vet... twice! My parents say it was more for me than for the gerbil, but still. Once it's a pet, it's not "just" anything anymore.

Chazbot
09-01-2009, 10:55 PM
I hope she will be okay and that there will be good news soon. A pet is a pet is a pet... I know how upsetting it can be when one you love is sick. We're newly back into fish and have two bettas, which we'd never kept before. I think they've got a lot of personality and they are not "just fish" but they really do have individual personalities and are characters in their own ways. I hope your little Sparkle will be well soon and she is lucky to have such a good person to take care of her!

Thanks, Jill! I appreciate that!

Hey, when I was a kid we took my pet gerbil to the vet... twice! My parents say it was more for me than for the gerbil, but still. Once it's a pet, it's not "just" anything anymore.

SOOO true!! I'm glad to see that veterinary medicine is coming along now and studying ALL types of animals.

Nothing new to report today. Things are unchanged. Sparkle's resting a lot and still has no appetite. I did a wc today and added more meds. She came up and played in the bubbles a bit when I was pouring the water in and I was glad to see that! But that's really it for today. I'm still hopeful. Sometimes things get worse before they get better. I'm hoping that a couple of days of hard rest and meds will make a difference.

Chazbot
09-01-2009, 10:57 PM
Hey Jill, I just noticed - we're neighbors! Opposite sides of the state, but whatever. :ssmile:

Deleted User
09-02-2009, 06:37 AM
That is neat!!! I hadn't noticed yet. I love how these kinds of forums make the world a smaller place in a good way thumbs2:

How is your girl doing this morning? I hope she is doing better http://www.getsmile.com/emoticons/smileys-91853/y/remybussi.gif

Chazbot
09-02-2009, 07:58 PM
Howdy neighbor!

Well I don't have anything new to tell you today. No change. I've added more meds and kept up with the salt baths. She nibbled at a piece of flake this morning and is still taking her occational swim around the tank, but that's it.

I'm still hopeful. She doesn't feel good, that's obvious, but doesn't seem to be in distress at all.

Chazbot
09-03-2009, 08:06 AM
Well folks, I'm sorry to say that Sparkle has gone Home.

This evening things just started going downhill fast and just as I was realizing what I needed to do, she went quietly and peacefully on her own. :scry:

Deleted User
09-03-2009, 08:21 AM
I'm so sorry http://www.getsmile.com/emoticons/smileys-91853/aiw/sad.gif You did more for her than most owners would know to do and you did right by her. So sorry http://www.getsmile.com/emoticons/smileys-91853/aiw/sad.gif

Chazbot
09-03-2009, 08:32 AM
Thanks, Jill.

I'm going to miss her. And you know, I honestly think my other Betta girls are missing her too.

Deleted User
09-03-2009, 09:42 AM
I would bet the other betta girls do miss her. One thing I've always felt since I was a teenager is that most people under estimate the emotions and attachments that animals feel. I've seen horses at my former trainer's barn that have been separated for years (where one has gone to another farm, but then returned). You should see how the horses celebrate it when they are reunited and how they get right back with their best friend from before and groom each other for time on end. Animals have a lot more emotion than many people want to realize.

Little Embers
09-03-2009, 12:10 PM
Well folks, I'm sorry to say that Sparkle has gone Home.

This evening things just started going downhill fast and just as I was realizing what I needed to do, she went quietly and peacefully on her own. :scry:
I am very sorry Chazbot. :scry: In one way, Sparkle made it a bit easier for you and in end, you didn't have to make the choice that we all dread.

mattsbottleofjager
09-03-2009, 01:21 PM
Sorry about Sparkle, it sounds like you did your best and at least made her comfortable on her way out.

Chazbot
09-03-2009, 07:42 PM
I would bet the other betta girls do miss her. One thing I've always felt since I was a teenager is that most people under estimate the emotions and attachments that animals feel. I've seen horses at my former trainer's barn that have been separated for years (where one has gone to another farm, but then returned). You should see how the horses celebrate it when they are reunited and how they get right back with their best friend from before and groom each other for time on end. Animals have a lot more emotion than many people want to realize.

I agree! I think we sometimes don't give animals enough credit for a lot of things - intelligence and capacity for love mostly. When my first pair of 'tiels had babies, I gave the babies away. 6 months later I ended up getting one of them back and he was thrilled to see his parents and they were thrilled to see him. Animals are amazing creatures!

I am very sorry Chazbot. :scry: In one way, Sparkle made it a bit easier for you and in end, you didn't have to make the choice that we all dread.

Thanks Little Embers!

Yeah, there's a selfish part of me that's grateful that I didn't have to... you know... I haven't had to do that so far. I know I can do it if I need to, but I definitely don't want to.

Sorry about Sparkle, it sounds like you did your best and at least made her comfortable on her way out.

Thanks Matt!

I hope she was comfortable. She seemed to be.

geminidragn
09-06-2009, 04:01 AM
I am truely sorry to hear that. She is in a better place now with no pain or discomfort. You put up a good fight for her and she did the same for you.
RIP Sparkle, may you put a sparkle in a star in the sky above for Chazbot!

BirdOfPray
09-06-2009, 01:11 PM
I was away for a few days, but just wanted to say I'm sorry to hear about Sparkle! I agree with the others that you went above and beyond making her comfortable and giving her the best possible chance.

Chazbot
09-07-2009, 08:16 PM
Thanks a lot folks, I appreciate it!!

I honestly think my other Betta girls went through a little mourning period. They were sort of quiet for a couple of days, but I guess now they've realized she's not coming back. :scry:

We'll miss her.

Cristoff
09-07-2009, 08:27 PM
Sorry to hear that you lost her, but you did way more to try to help than most would.

It's so refreshing (albeit sad for the outcome) to hear stories like this where an owner takes true "ownership" of their pet. Although the outcome was all but inevitable (sp?), you still did everything in your power to do what was right, not what was easy.

Sorry for the loss, but you are a true animal lover - and in that there is some solice for us all.

Chazbot
09-07-2009, 08:36 PM
Sorry for the loss, but you are a true animal lover - and in that there is some solice for us all.

Well thank you!! What a nice thing to say!

But I'm not the only one. I think that's why I like this forum so much - lots of "animal geeks" here!