PDA

View Full Version : My newest want...........no must have lol

sailor
08-30-2009, 11:55 PM
Well gang here is the next fish I must have......I understand they are rare in the hobby .............neochromis omnicaeruleus kuene from Lake Victoria

Here is a link http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/images/7622.jpg

So if anybody knows of where to get them please let me know.

Thanks in advance

Lady Hobbs
08-31-2009, 12:00 AM
Very nice and nice markings on him, too. I'll keep on eye out on the net for these for sale.

Lab_Rat
08-31-2009, 01:10 AM
Sailor, you may want to contact Dave from Dave's Rare Aquarium Fish. He specializes in African cichlids and often has pretty rare fish. The local cichlid club just had an auction last Sunday and I know he won some really rare cichlids that he was going to put up for sale (can't remember what they were). If he doesn't have any he may know who to put you in contact with. He's a really nice guy and his shop is amazing. He has more available than what is listed on the website so I would definitely try giving him a call.

DrNic
08-31-2009, 03:12 AM
Wow that's a great looking fish! I've never seen anything like it. thumbs2:

sailor
08-31-2009, 03:33 AM
Sailor, you may want to contact Dave from Dave's Rare Aquarium Fish. He specializes in African cichlids and often has pretty rare fish. The local cichlid club just had an auction last Sunday and I know he won some really rare cichlids that he was going to put up for sale (can't remember what they were). If he doesn't have any he may know who to put you in contact with. He's a really nice guy and his shop is amazing. He has more available than what is listed on the website so I would definitely try giving him a call.

I sent him an email earlier......thanks for the reply

Lab_Rat
08-31-2009, 04:18 AM
Cool, I hope he can help you out! Good luck, they look really awesome.

Lady Hobbs
08-31-2009, 01:45 PM
Very helpful post Lab Rat. I did see in another forum some guy was writing about these fish and said he got them from Dave. I had no idea who Dave was but now I know, don't I? Hope sailor can hook up with some of these.

Lab_Rat
08-31-2009, 03:12 PM
And Dave is a super nice guy. I met him at the cichlid auction and have been to his store. He said he has a female macaw cichlid for my male which I'm tempted to get. His stock is so amazing.

Northernguy
08-31-2009, 07:28 PM
I don't know if you all aware of this but its not good news for anyone and sailor! What I found out was this: Its copied from another forum I belong to.

Lake Victoria's haplochromines are equally worthy candidates for captive breeding. If it is not done, then scores of them will simply go extinct. On the other hand, Lake Victoria itself has been so compromised, that it is hard to know what to do with the captively bred fish, except to keep them in captivity.

Haplochromines are fish of the genus Haplochromis which with its allies and the more famous Tilapia, belong to the ubiquitous tropical family, the cichlids (cichlidae; pronounced sick-lid-ee). They are mostly small (five centimetres or so) and not obviously prepossessing, but they were, until recent decades, of enormous economic and social importance. Indeed the haplochromines accounted for 80 per cent of the fish biomass of Lake Victoria, and the locals caught them, dried them in the sun and wind, and relied upon them as a prime source of protein and flavour.

As objects of biological interest, Lake Victoria's haplochromines were unsurpassed. They diverged to form about 300 different species, each kind ecologically and behaviourally separate from the others; some in deep water, some in the shallows, some feeding on plankton, some on each other's young, and so on. No one knows how they achieved this variety. One theory, proposed by Humphry Greenwood, formerly of the Natural History Museum in London, is that parts of Lake Victoria were at times divided into separate ponds, in which different populations could diverge, as did the Greek gobies, Europe's brown trout, and the fish described by Meffe's Death Valley Model. Some biologists believe, however, that the variety arose in the lake as a whole.

But this ecological and evolutionary contemplation has been brought to a halt, however. In the late 1950s, Nile perch, Lates were introduced into Lake Victoria, from the Ugandan shores. Alois Achiend, now of the Lake Basin Development Authority in Kenya, who at the time was working for the Ugandans, says that nobody knows how the perch first got into the lake, or who put them in. However, once it was clear that they were established, the Ugandan government introduced them deliberately in May 1962; and the Kenyans followed suit, with 300 fish, in September 1963.

Lake Victoria is on the site of a more ancient lake, which dried up. In the Miocene, the ancient lake contained Lates, as do many other African lakes now coexisting with many species of cichlid. But modern Lake Victoria has never contained the perch, and its haplochromines evolved in its absence. The Nile perch is one of the world's supreme predators, which in a 20-year life can grow to 200 centimetres and a weight of 100 kilograms. Thirty-five kilograms is commonplace. The perch ate the naive and ill-adapted haplochromines, and miltiplied. At first, the local fishermen hated them, because they broke their nets. Now they have stronger nets, with bigger mesh. By the mid 1980s haplochromines accounted for only 1 per cent of the catch, while the perch made up 70 per cent.

Off their perch

Economically, the perch is a mixed blessing. It is too big and oily simply to be sun and wind-dried. It needs smoking, which requires timber, and local deforestation is a problem. Most local people seem to welcome it, however. For the first time in their history, the Lake Victorian Kenyans are now fish exporters - of canned Nile perch fillets.

Biologically, Lates in Lake Victoria have been a disaster. Extensive surveys from the 1970s onwards by Dutch biologists in the Haplochromine Ecology Survey Team (HEST), showed that by the mid 1980s almost 200 of the 300 haplochromines species were already extinct. A survey in 1986 by biologists from the Natural History Museum in London suggested that inshore species at least, living among the rocks where Nile perch do not care to penetrate, have survived. But the mass - the offshore species - seem unequivocally to have gone.

The implications of the Lake Victoria/Nile perch story are enormous. First, though this is only one of many examples of introduced animals harming a native ecosystem, it is probably the most spectacular ever. Very few vertebrate groups are as varied as the haplochromines; never has a vertebrate taxon been so comprehensively devastated in such a short time. Some biologists (including Achiend) argue that overfishing would have wiped out at least some haplochromines even without Nile perch. But none denies that the Lates have had a tremendous influence.

Secondly, it is clear that the present, Nile perch-based ecology is not stable. What do the Nile perch live on, now the haplochromines are scarce? Their own young, is one possibility. It is clear, though, that the lake is becoming eutrophic (too rich in nutrients) and anoxic, possibly because the animals that fed upon the plankton - namely the haplochromines - have been removed, so that the food chain no longer runs, as aquatic ecosystems should, smoothly from plankton to top predator. Whatever the cause, ecologists (and economists) can only stand and wait. Sooner or later, the Nile perch population in its turn seems bound to crash. it is conceivable that the entire lake, which is the size of Switzerland, could simply die.

This leaves the option of captive breeding. Haplochromines are not spectacular, and have not engaged the aquarists' fancy. But about 15 species are known to be living in aquaria worldwide, notably at the New England Aquarium in Boston, Massachusetts; at Bielefeld University in West Germany; Leiden University in Holland; and at the Horniman Museum in London, where Gordon Reid is Keeper of Natural History. Some of the 15 captive-bred species are probably now extinct in the wild, and for Reid and his fellow aquarists, they pose several dilemmas. Clearly, they do not want to stop breeding them; to do so would be to write off entire species. But the prime reason for captive breeding is eventually to return the animals to their native habitat, and it is hard to see how Lake Victoria could ever be restored, or even remotely so.

Then again, there is the matter of logistics. If genetic diversity is to be maintained then it is vital that the first generation of offspring should be as large as possible. The theory is simple; each parent passes on only half of its genes to each offspring, and the only way to retain all (or the vast majority) of the genes in the founder generation, is to ensure that they reproduce a lot. But aquaria are of finite size. Horniman is a public museum, with a responsibility to show a variety of species. It cannot fill all its tanks with haplochromines. Besides, breeding fish is a tedious business, once the initial problems have been solved.

So what is to be done? One possibility, discussed by Reid and Chris Andrews, curator of fish at the London Zoo, is to engage the help of amateur aquarists, many of whom are at least as good as the professionals in fish husbandry (See Box).

Finally, biologists, spurred not least by Rosemary Lowe-McConnell, formerly of the Freshwater Biological Association, who did much of her work on Lake Victoria, are now turning their attention to the other African lakes, such as Malawi and Tanganyika, which are endangered for other reasons. Beneath Lake Malawi, for example, there is oil, which various companies are seeking to drill. Habitat protection is the ultimate goal of conservation, to which all other approaches are subsidiary. The African lakes are among the most diverse and vulnerable of ecosystems, but they are in the heart of an economically deprived continent with a rapidly expanding population. For conservationists worldwide, they present the greatest immediate challenge."

bushwhacker
08-31-2009, 08:20 PM
very interesting artical ray, thanks for sharing

Lab_Rat
08-31-2009, 11:22 PM
Very interesting article. It goes right along with one of the goals of the local cichlid club I just joined. They're especially concerned with preserving the endangered Lake Victoria species.

Here's a link to the club page of their Endangered Species Program if anyone is interested: http://www.hillcountrycichlidclub.com/esp/

They also have a section of their discussion board devoted to endangered species.

vegas2k
12-05-2010, 06:43 AM
wow what an eye opening read. Malawi having a lot of oil under it really makes it rough in as they say a poor country who might just not care about the lake and drill :scry:

Lady Hobbs
12-05-2010, 10:05 AM
Another thread that's well over a year old.

fishsafari
12-07-2010, 12:40 AM
I'd be interested to know which site that article came from, if you still have it.