PDA

View Full Version : Not sure what kind of Pleco I have

The Curious
08-30-2009, 10:50 PM
Attached are some photos of my plecos. I am not sure what kind they are. My local pet guy said his guess was that one breed hopped tanks into another breed's tank and this is an accidental hybrid. The dark stripes are defined when the pleco is trying to blend or just after feeding. They are great little plecos, just curious what kind they are specifically.

Thanks

LadyHatred
08-30-2009, 11:23 PM
How long have you had them? I'm no expert but, to me, the first shot looks like a common....

toddnbecka
08-31-2009, 06:45 AM
They're common (aka Trinidad) plecos, common as guppies and twice as bothersome. They don't breed in aquariums, but are mass-produced in outdoor ponds in Florida, (along with "assorted African cichlids") so they're cheap and plentiful in the aquarium trade.
They're halfway decent algae eaters when small, but quickly grow out of that habit, and most tanks as well. They'll eventually get about 2' long given proper care and tankspace. Unless you have at least a 6' tank they really aren't going to be happy long-term, and being kept too long in smaller tanks can stunt them.
They'll eat just about anything available, but really should be fed some zucchini, canned green beans, peas, or other veggies at least once weekly to help keep their digestive systems healthy. Too much protein will clog their pipes and cause them to bloat.

cer
08-31-2009, 06:28 PM
Here is a link: http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+837+984&pcatid=984

Crispy
09-01-2009, 08:18 PM
Agreed... common pleco.. they'll have different markings from time to time.