PDA

View Full Version : Cichlids acting screwy

Cichlid_Man
03-28-2007, 04:35 PM
I have no clue what is going on in my tank.
I cannot go in the same room as the tank or my cichlids run for cover and don't come out.
They are not even coming to the glass to eat. I had to take out uneaten food twice already today because as soon as I approach the tank, they run for the caves and do not come out.
I know they get a bit weird as they mature, but this is terrible.
Who needs fish like this?
What could have happened?

jeffs99dime
03-28-2007, 05:27 PM
has anything recently happened where they could have been spooked by something?

Cichlid_Man
03-28-2007, 06:13 PM
Nope.
They are in my dining room. Nobody goes in there except on holiday.
It is weird.
I am going to NOT go in there for a few days and see if they break out of this. I am sure they will eventually get hungry?
Man, they used to wait for me every morning at 7. Like pirahna! they would attack the food!

jeffs99dime
03-28-2007, 07:08 PM
Nope.
They are in my dining room. Nobody goes in there except on holiday.
It is weird.
I am going to NOT go in there for a few days and see if they break out of this. I am sure they will eventually get hungry?
Man, they used to wait for me every morning at 7. Like pirahna! they would attack the food!

do they appear to have any sickness? they could become more timid if they are stressed. that is strange. i'm just trying to think of possibilities.

Lady Hobbs
03-28-2007, 07:20 PM
Now what, huh? Wonder why the are so spooked out. Maybe you should just turn their light off for a day and see if it helps.

Cichlid_Man
03-28-2007, 08:17 PM
Hey Hobbs.
If I dare put the light on they crash into the glass and go wild.

I am leaving them alone for a while to see.

Jeff, They are not sick at all.
They look great and the water chemistry is fine. I did have some brown algae in there but I didn't use additives to get rid of it. I just did water changes.
It's a mystery.

I hate them right now. They serve no purpose to me this way.

An Oscar! That's what I'll do. Get an Oscar! He'll fix their butts :-)

Nah! I wouldn't do that

Lady Hobbs
03-28-2007, 08:27 PM
Maybe they'll all mating and going nuts in there. This is certainly strange, tho. Maybe too much coffee in the morning.

Lady Hobbs
03-28-2007, 09:37 PM
I hope you know that your post was the deciding factor for me. As you know, I have gone severums?...dwarfs?.....severums?.....dwarfs? for weeks.
It will be severums! LOL

Cichlid_Man
03-28-2007, 10:07 PM
I think you'll do better with severums.
I am very disappointed in my tank, really.
I suggest Malawi's to everybody, but for some reason, this is the 2nd tank I have had where they are nuts and they won't come out.

Maybe it is the well water?
Something in there that whacks them out?

If I had it to do all over, I would either get one Oscar, or a variety of sharks.
They really intrigue me.
I have one rainbow in my tropical setup and he is awesome.
My cichlids are sickos!