PDA

View Full Version : New red cray that my dad gave me!

aquatic lover
08-30-2009, 07:17 AM
My dad gave me a red crayfish:19: ! It's a he, he's about 4 to 3 inches and is out and about, I can't get pics up right now because it won't let me upload pics on to my computer for some unknown reason. He's really cool and is a light red color!:19: :18: :headbanger:

iZinedane
08-30-2009, 07:27 AM
thats great news!
pics! :hmm3grin2orange:

jaysee
09-01-2009, 01:19 PM
Great! Are you going to try to find some tankmates for him?

DrNic
09-01-2009, 02:52 PM
Sounds cool! Can't wait to see it!thumbs2:

aquatic lover
09-02-2009, 12:46 AM
Actualy it's a female, I was wrong, the males have an extra pair of legs, and this cray has two bubble like things on one leg to the right and on one leg to the left. I will post pics when I have time. I want some neon tetras or some white clouds but if I got some white clouds or neon tetras, would I need a aquarium heater?

aquatic lover
09-02-2009, 01:07 AM
Ok here she is! I will get some more pics tonight, because obviously you can't really see her good right now. Now don't go saying"Thats not the right enviorment for a crayfish!"lol, I need more hiding spots and more fake plants but for now, the pipe, the one fake plant, the two live plants, and the plastic climbing thing is enough until I get more money to invest in this tank.

aquatic lover
09-02-2009, 03:51 AM
Got these cool pics! Sorry the pics are a little blury with the flash on.

KingFisher
09-02-2009, 04:02 AM
Nice crayfish Aquaticlover! Congratulations! thumbs2:thumbs2:thumbs2:

jaysee
09-02-2009, 02:03 PM
Actualy it's a female, I was wrong, the males have an extra pair of legs, and this cray has two bubble like things on one leg to the right and on one leg to the left. I will post pics when I have time. I want some neon tetras or some white clouds but if I got some white clouds or neon tetras, would I need a aquarium heater?

Neons are a bad choice, unless you want to keep replacing them. It's a good idea to avoid all bottom dwelling fish, as they WILL be harassed or eaten. I went through 30 neons before I gave up and stopped stocking them with the cray.

Crayfish do not need a heater, but will tollerate waters as warm as low 80's should you choose to use one. White clouds do not need a heater either, and I think they stay higher in the water than neons, so that's a better choice.

aquatic lover
09-02-2009, 03:31 PM
Neons are a bad choice, unless you want to keep replacing them. It's a good idea to avoid all bottom dwelling fish, as they WILL be harassed or eaten. I went through 30 neons before I gave up and stopped stocking them with the cray.

Crayfish do not need a heater, but will tollerate waters as warm as low 80's should you choose to use one. White clouds do not need a heater either, and I think they stay higher in the water than neons, so that's a better choice.Ok I will not be getting neons
Mabye I will buy some white clouds....

jaysee
09-02-2009, 04:29 PM
I've had good success keeping barbs (cherries are small enough for your tank) with them, but I'm not sure how well they'll do in a 10 with the crayfish. Less water means more chances to catch one. However, crayfish, like all other fish, have different personalities. The only way you'll know what you can keep with her is trial and error.

aquatic lover
09-02-2009, 04:31 PM
I will buy some White clouds but, would they get stuck in the filter in take?

jaysee
09-02-2009, 05:10 PM
Not if they're healthy. And smart - survival of the fittest:hmm3grin2orange:

aquatic lover
09-03-2009, 03:05 AM
Just got some white clouds, I got 5 to see how they would do. Minus one fish because one white cloud was messed up and the crayfish got em.

aquatic lover
09-06-2009, 12:30 AM
Minus three, one got stuck in the filter and died overnight, woke up this morning to a dead white cloud stuck in the filter in take.

Little Embers
09-06-2009, 12:40 AM
I will buy some White clouds but, would they get stuck in the filter in take?

Minus three, one got stuck in the filter and died overnight, woke up this morning to a dead white cloud stuck in the filter in take.
Sorry to hear that aquatic lover :scry: I had to smile though sorry...looks like you just answered your own question.

Have you tried putting some mesh or netting around the intake?...that seems to help.

pinchyboy
09-06-2009, 03:24 AM
cool crayfish looks great! thumbs2:

jaysee
09-06-2009, 08:03 PM

I'm sure it died before getting stuck in the intake.