PDA

View Full Version : Added yoyo loaches snails gone in 12hrs

crackatinny
03-28-2007, 11:20 AM
WOW, these Yoyo (Pakistani) loaches are like the lawnmower of snails, I had a bad infestation in a 5g tank, so I got a couple of small yoyo's with the intention of growing them out a little in this tank and to try them on the snails.
I can't believe it, they are only about 2inch loaches at the moment, but this morning there was snails all over the place, only 12 hrs later, there is hardly any.

jeffs99dime
03-28-2007, 01:58 PM
yeah, they're pretty amazing aren't they?!

Willyleigh
03-28-2007, 04:00 PM
I have snails in my 7 gal which when there are too many I justtake one out and drop it into my 17gal with my YoYos and they get eaten within seconds of touching the bottom, I just have to vacuum the shells out then.

sergo
03-28-2007, 04:40 PM
now you get to be like like me and go to the lfs asking for snails out of their plant tanks.:hmm3grin2orange:

xoolooxunny
03-28-2007, 08:24 PM
could i just go to the store and get a couple for my 75 gallon and take them back to trade them in when the snails are gone?? I'm only saying this bc i hear they arent good with planted tanks and i would want them out before they could do too much damage

Lady Hobbs
03-28-2007, 08:30 PM
Several I know keep them in planted tanks so I couldn't say. My clowns are in my tank with all those lovely pots in it and haven't done anything to them so far. HA! Even my Silver Dollars aren't eating those plants!! How odd is that one.

sergo
03-28-2007, 08:30 PM
mine have been in for over 3 weeks now with no plant damage.

xoolooxunny
03-29-2007, 12:25 AM
great! my lfs is having their moonlight madness sale! (well, its PetsPlus, not my 'lfs') all freshwater fish 50% off!!! Hopefully they have some in!:18:

Abbeys_Mom
03-29-2007, 12:41 AM
My Yo Yo Loach did a great job for the first week or so, then he stopped. I still have snails, but not as many.

Lady Hobbs
03-29-2007, 01:03 AM
mine have been in for over 3 weeks now with no plant damage.

This is odd. You read everywhere how SD destroy ever plant in it's path. Perhaps it's when no other veggies are given to them in their daily diet? It could also be that you don't like those flower pots in there? lol

hungryhound
03-29-2007, 03:41 AM
We have 5 Yo Yo loaches in our 46g tank and they are a hoot to watch. Here of late they've taken to parading across the front of the tank.

The tank is also planted and so far the plants have seen no ill effects from the loaches :)

Chrona
03-29-2007, 03:52 AM
I believe the main issue is that they play around and uproot the plants, notsomuch actual plant damage, though they will sometimes punch holes in them for no apparent reason.

hungryhound
03-29-2007, 02:56 PM
I believe the main issue is that they play around and uproot the plants, notsomuch actual plant damage, though they will sometimes punch holes in them for no apparent reason.

I have also read this, and that is my understanding as well, and I knew this when I added my loaches, but I wanted live plants and my wife wanted loaches. So we compromised and she got her loaches and I get to buy new plants when ever one gets destroyed. :thumb:

sergo
03-29-2007, 03:02 PM
I have also read this, and that is my understanding as well, and I knew this when I added my loaches, but I wanted live plants and my wife wanted loaches. So we compromised and she got her loaches and I get to buy new plants when ever one gets destroyed. :thumb:hell of an idea! no problems there

xoolooxunny
03-29-2007, 06:43 PM
Ok, I think I've made up my mind. I'm going to get 4 yoyo loaches for my 75g. If they begin to cause to much of a problem with my plants that I can't take care of during regular tank maintenance, then I will trade them back in.

FYI: I already have 3 khulie loaches, a 5 inch commom pleco, and a bunch of ghost shrimp. Is this too much bottom feeding activity for a 75g?