PDA

View Full Version : Oscar, hole in the head?

crackatinny
03-28-2007, 10:57 AM
My nephew has a fullgrown veiltail Oscar that he thinks may have hole in the head disease.

It has been more docile than usual the past couple of days, he netted it for closer inspection, aparently it is still very strong when swimming against the net, he said it does not actually seem to have a hole, but more an indent in its head, he also remarked that it seemed extremly more slimy than normal, (he has moved a couple of times since owning the fish, but not recently, so had seen it out of water before, this is how he new it seemed much slimier )

Any ideas or help?, he is a beautiful old oscar.

sanddigger
03-28-2007, 05:04 PM
Here's an article I found that may help your Nephew.

http://www.flippersandfins.net/HITHarticle2.htm

Tell your Nephew I wish him the best.

TehTANK
03-28-2007, 05:16 PM
I have a large Oscar that I have had for about 2 years now. He has an indent as well where hole in the head would be. It is normal from what I have been told at my LFS. As they grow I was told this is a normal thing to happen because of what causes hole in the head but it doesn't actually happen. The slimy thing seems to be more of a external bacteria thing. This is just my thoughts though. I am no expert but I try....hope this helps.

crackatinny
03-28-2007, 11:35 PM
Here's an article I found that may help your Nephew.

http://www.flippersandfins.net/HITHarticle2.htm

Tell your Nephew I wish him the best.

Thanks, that is a great article, I will pass it on.

crackatinny
03-28-2007, 11:38 PM
I have a large Oscar that I have had for about 2 years now. He has an indent as well where hole in the head would be. It is normal from what I have been told at my LFS. As they grow I was told this is a normal thing to happen because of what causes hole in the head but it doesn't actually happen. The slimy thing seems to be more of a external bacteria thing. This is just my thoughts though. I am no expert but I try....hope this helps.

Thanks, I will pass on the info and get him to grab some anti bacterial medication, he has done a 50% water change and added a cure all med, but I don't know that they help in bacterial probs.

TehTANK
03-29-2007, 12:20 PM
Good idea on the water change. Keep us posted on what happens..or at least me.

Lady Hobbs
03-29-2007, 01:01 PM
Very good article Sanddigger! Thanks for sharing it.

There's meds out there for HITH that should help him and definitely as tehTANK says, large water changes......and weekly.

There's speculation that charcoal filters may be a culprit, as well, but is not confirmed.

sushant
03-29-2007, 02:01 PM
that was a good article.

Fishguy2727
03-29-2007, 02:28 PM
HITH can also have to do with diet. This goes along with trace elements and trace nutrients, which are what carbon in the filter removes, which is why carbon should not be used in my opinion. The best food hands down is New Life Spectrum. NLS can actually reverse HITH/HLLE in sw fish very quickly, but the physiology of the disease/condition may be very different in fw and in sw.

He should be doing tons of water changes, have massive filtration, and be feeding NLS (possibly along with Hikari Bio-Gold+).

crackatinny
03-29-2007, 11:31 PM
After looking at the pics in that article, he seems to think they are the normal glands in the 1st pic that he seen, he is doing another 50% change today, and keeping an eye on it, I will fill you guys in when I know more.

crackatinny
03-31-2007, 10:29 AM
Unfortunately my nephews oscar died last night, he is quite confident after reading that article and the replies here, that it was not hole in the head, it may have just been its time, my nephew got it 3 yrs ago as an adult, so he does not know its true age.

Thanks for your help with this:thumb:

sanddigger
03-31-2007, 11:05 PM
I'm so, soooo sorry for your Nephew's loss. May the ole fella RIP.

cocoa_pleco
03-31-2007, 11:17 PM

My old electric yellow had a indent that was not full of puss or anything and it was nothing. Its normal. Sorry for his loss