PDA

View Full Version : ph buffering problems!

jfgoody
08-29-2009, 04:23 PM
I recently had a ph decline that I didn't notice due to a bad test kit. I am treating the problem, but would like to know how to make my tank more able to buffer on its own, so as to keep this from happening again....any ideas?

Cameron
08-30-2009, 11:08 PM
we need more info on your tank. how much did it drop? what are your parameters? stocking? how big is your tank? have you changed water lately?

UnknownFish
09-03-2009, 01:06 PM
i was having trouble when i first put up my tank, the api test kit always said my ph was 7.8, i would do a water change and add api 8.2 buffer and wait 24 hours and test again and the api test would still say 7.8, i took a sample to my local lfs and they would test with an api test and it would say the same thing 7.8, they gave me seachem reef buffer 8.3 and told me do a water change and add it and come back with another sample in 3 days, i did that and the api test would still read 7.8, eventually they decided to check it with a salifert ph test and it would read 8.3, i decided to buy the salifert kit and it has been reading 8.3 for 2 weeks now, i havent added any buffer and i have done a 10-15 % water change every week. i did add about 30 lbs of crushed coral and mixed it in with the argonite substrate i already had. good luck.

travie
09-03-2009, 01:40 PM
I recently had a ph decline that I didn't notice due to a bad test kit. I am treating the problem, but would like to know how to make my tank more able to buffer on its own, so as to keep this from happening again....any ideas?

We need to know how long your tank has been up, what salt mix you use, and how often and big are your water changes, at the very least to help.

Pretty much tell us everything about your tank, then we can help.