PDA

View Full Version : Need to add another fish

nannyisme2004
03-28-2007, 09:44 AM
I just tried posting my message with no success. I am going to try again so I am sorry if this posts twice.

My mom has a very nice pond. About 4 yrs ago she placed 2 feeder fish in the pond and they grew to about 6 inches. They have been best buddies and it appears that one of them has died. We haven't seen him in a couple of months. Fin (the one that is left) needs a new buddy. My question is should we go ahead and add two or three feeder fish to the pond or just one? Will they eventually get along? Fin will be huge compared to the new fish. It will take years for the new fish to get as big as Fin. I have also heard it is not a good idea to mix different goldfish in the same pond. Ex: common goldfish with fancy tails.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

Laurie

kimmers318
03-28-2007, 11:10 AM
You might want to find a larger specimen to put into the pond. My oldest daughter's first aquarium had a goldfish that would eat anything you put in there with it that it could, so the larger goldfish might make a feeder out of a smaller one.

nannyisme2004
03-28-2007, 10:38 PM
Kimmer,
Do you have any suggestions of a bigger fish. She is not really wanting to get into the Koi thing.

Laurie

Incredulous_Ed
03-28-2007, 10:39 PM
Yu don't want to put fancy goldfish with the more common ones, since the fancy ones can't compete very well with the common ones. As kimmers said you will probably want to get a large goldfish, or maybe some thing like a weather loach.

xoolooxunny
03-28-2007, 11:18 PM
See if anyone is getting rid of a good-sized goldfish from their pond in your area, i guess try craigslist? A rescue is always heartwarming!

Chrona
03-28-2007, 11:23 PM
Also keep in mind many types of fancy goldfish are actually warm water. It's only the comet or comet related goldfish that can take the cold.